Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Final Gravity is too High  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Tim Ellis

• 1st Kit
Final Gravity is too High
« on: December 13, 2018, 01:41:53 pm »
My FG is about 0.010 to 0.030 higher than BeerSmith calculates.  The higher the starting SG the worse my FG.  I use tap water filtered thru a chlorine filter.  I have tried mashing in at 145 degrees for an hour stiring every 10 to 15 minutes.  I have a very vigorous boil.  I oxygenate for 2 minutes prior to pitching.  I pitch with at least 1.5 L of yeast and ferment in a temp controlled refrigerator and wait to bottle until the SG stops changing for at least 3 days.  I bottle condition using 2/3 C of sugar.  The beers come out a bit sweet but the carbonation is good.

I have not measured my mash pH yet.  I have test strips on order.  My efficiency is not good around 60%.

Any suggestions on what to test for to lower my FG?
Thanks,
-tim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Final Gravity is too High
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:51:12 pm »
What Beersmith tells you is no more than a guess.  Don't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:58:10 pm »
My FG is about 0.010 to 0.030 higher than BeerSmith calculates.  The higher the starting SG the worse my FG.  I use tap water filtered thru a chlorine filter.  I have tried mashing in at 145 degrees for an hour stiring every 10 to 15 minutes.  I have a very vigorous boil.  I oxygenate for 2 minutes prior to pitching.  I pitch with at least 1.5 L of yeast and ferment in a temp controlled refrigerator and wait to bottle until the SG stops changing for at least 3 days.  I bottle condition using 2/3 C of sugar.  The beers come out a bit sweet but the carbonation is good.

I have not measured my mash pH yet.  I have test strips on order.  My efficiency is not good around 60%.

Thanks,
-tim
You probably mean .001 to .003 points higher than BS predicts, which isn't too far off.  Can you give us some examples of beginning and ending gravities and which yeasts you have used? 
In the mean time, make sure you are 1) using a calibrated hydrometer or if using a refractometer, use the math correction for it; 2) stop worrying about BS predictions; 3) cut back on the boil vigor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Tim Ellis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 02:36:50 pm »
Starting 1.080 FG 1.030, starting 1.092 FG 1.040, starting 1.046 FG 1.020.  All were measured using a refractometer.  I have checked the refractometer against a hydrometer and got several readings within 0.002.  I do chill prior to reading.

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 02:47:46 pm »
Starting 1.080 FG 1.030, starting 1.092 FG 1.040, starting 1.046 FG 1.020.  All were measured using a refractometer.  I have checked the refractometer against a hydrometer and got several readings within 0.002.  I do chill prior to reading.
Well there's your FG problem.

Refractometers are not accurate when alcohol is present. The readings must be corrected using calculators to give a more accurate number. Or use the hydrometer.

Are you ramping up the temp any as fermentation slows or ends. You could also go lower on the mash temp.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:53:57 pm by brew inspector01 »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:49:36 pm »
Are you using a correction program for the refractometer?  Alcohol throws the reading way off.  I think you can use beersmith to adjust the reading.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »
My efficiency is not good around 60%.

Thanks,
-tim

What other folks have said are correct.  I just want to touch upon a different issue.  Low efficiency can result in more dextrins than normal which would cause high FG. 

Which leads to mash pH.  Most people (at least that's my impression) on the AHA Forum use Bru'n Water to calculate and adjust mash pH and don't measure it.

Offline Tim Ellis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:10:27 pm »
I owe all who posted earlier a home brew.  I have a batch aging now.  I used my hydrometer to measure the SG and got 1.004.  BeerSmith says 1.002.

Thanks!
-tim

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 05:52:39 am »
I owe all who posted earlier a home brew.  I have a batch aging now.  I used my hydrometer to measure the SG and got 1.004.  BeerSmith says 1.002.

Thanks!
-tim

That's a very understandable thing to freak out about.  Asking questions is how we learn.  Your refractometer was accurate, it just measures a different thing and so screws up the formula.

Cheers!
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:26:58 am »

You are joking right? So Brad Smith didn't program in any calculations at all and on a WAG inserted some numbers at random?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 11:43:29 am »

You are joking right? So Brad Smith didn't program in any calculations at all and on a WAG inserted some numbers at random?
I think the point is that calculations can only estimate the probable result of a certain limited set of functions, based on available data, and none of that will ever be sufficient to describe the real world.   So it's a SWAG, but it's not like that's a bad thing.   SWAG is your best forecast,  but only ever that.  Your own real world experience can, over time, refine your expectations.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 12:14:46 pm »

Thanks!
-tim

That’s more like it. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk