Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2308 Munich yeast at ale fermentation temperature.  (Read 2832 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Wyeast 2308 Munich yeast at ale fermentation temperature.
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:31:13 am »
Has anyone tried fermenting Wyeast 2308 at ale temperatures? I’m thinking of pitching at 64F and slowly ramping to 70F at 50% attenuation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Wyeast 2308 Munich yeast at ale fermentation temperature.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:49:55 am »
I haven't used it warm like this, but I imagine it will turn out pretty good.  I would keep at 64 F the whole time and only bring up to 70 F if you detect any diacetyl, otherwise keep it down at 64 F which is plenty warm for this yeast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:09:06 am »
I see no issues with this, unless you are actually trying to make a clean lager.  I make ales with lager yeasts at ale-like temps quite often, but fermenting at higher temperatures will most likely create some esters that would be inappropriate in a lager.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:03:55 am »
I got the idea of fermenting lagers this way from Marshall’s write up at Brülosophy. He strongly claims that lagers can be made at ale temperatures. I thought I would give it a try. He frequently uses 34-70 which I’ve used at ale temps successfully.
I haven’t read any accounts of 2308 being used for lagers in the 60s.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:36:31 am »
It is certainly worth some experimentation in my opinion.  I'm of the current view that it's likely that lager strains don't produce as much esters warm as originally thought.  Not unless you use them downright hot >70 F or in that neighborhood probably.  But at 64 F?  Naw, I don't think so.  But I haven't run many experiments yet to know for sure.  The only lager yeast I've used around that temperature was S-189 and it turned out excellent.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:54:11 am »
I think I’ll split this into two fermenters and compare for myself.
My garage’s temperature is 45-50 this time of year and providing  a little heat to get to the low 60s for the test batch is no problem.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 07:52:09 am »
I got the idea of fermenting lagers this way from Marshall’s write up at Brülosophy. He strongly claims that lagers can be made at ale temperatures. I thought I would give it a try. He frequently uses 34-70 which I’ve used at ale temps successfully.
I haven’t read any accounts of 2308 being used for lagers in the 60s.

Saying "lagers can be made at ale temps" is a bit of a sweeping statement and over generalization IMO.  Sometimes they certainly can, others it doesn't work so well.  I've only ever used 2308 at lager temps, but I suspect that it would make a decent beer at ale temps. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:18 am »
It is certainly worth some experimentation in my opinion.  I'm of the current view that it's likely that lager strains don't produce as much esters warm as originally thought.  Not unless you use them downright hot >70 F or in that neighborhood probably.  But at 64 F?  Naw, I don't think so.  But I haven't run many experiments yet to know for sure.  The only lager yeast I've used around that temperature was S-189 and it turned out excellent.

I’ve read about 34/70 fermenting warm but not -189. Interesting.