Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tilt Refractometer  (Read 5449 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Tilt Refractometer
« on: December 20, 2018, 03:34:50 am »
Question for those of you using the Tilt - does a heavy krausen cause problems for the Tilt? The chico yeast strains tend to throw up a pretty thick head of krausen that sometimes never falls.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Tilt Refractometer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:29 am »
I just got mine and haven't used it yet, but based on research, the krausen can certainly have an effect on readings especially when it sticks to the Tilt and remains on there.  This can result in readings that seem very low even after the krausen falls, but if cleaned off then plopped back in or measured with a traditional hydrometer, you'll see the reading is actually higher.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 12:25:48 pm »
It can and does.  Two notes on this. 
1) for those spunding: it has been in my experience, close enough to get you in the ballpark of when to transfer to a keg
2) for those not spunding and waiting for a FG, this isn't really an issue.  Yes, the tilt may read low, but you will still see the gravity change stop for consecutive days, indicating fermentation is complete.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:36:24 pm by JT »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »
Yes, this ^^^^^^

I have one reading at 1.002 for a lager, that I am sure has been affected in this manner.  I will know more when I rack from fermenter in the next couple days.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 03:58:26 am »
Thanks for the replies.
Since I spund, I was hoping for something that would help me avoid having to pull multiple samples to see when I've reached the "spunding" gravity level. It sounds like there would be a lot of variability when using the Tilt since different yeast varieties generate very different levels of krausen that behave very differently over the course of fermentation.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:01:30 am by mainebrewer »
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:32:48 am »
You can still try Kräusening it.

Cheers!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:56:35 pm »
Question for those of you using the Tilt - does a heavy krausen cause problems for the Tilt? The chico yeast strains tend to throw up a pretty thick head of krausen that sometimes never falls.

I've only had my Tilt for maybe 3 or 4 batches, but heavy krausen hasn't caused any issues yet.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 04:43:27 am »
Are most of you finding that any variance between the Tilt and a regular hydrometer is always the same and not dependent upon the amount of krausen? Since I spund my beer, I think the Tilt would be a great thing to use but I'm reluctant to spend $135. for something that isn't consistent.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 08:05:53 am »
I am checking that very thing with my second batch with the tilt that was off.  This time I calibrated with water first.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:33 am »
Are most of you finding that any variance between the Tilt and a regular hydrometer is always the same and not dependent upon the amount of krausen? Since I spund my beer, I think the Tilt would be a great thing to use but I'm reluctant to spend $135. for something that isn't consistent.

My thought exactly. I really want one but don’t want to pay that much for something that’s kind of accurate.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 04:48:31 am »
I am checking that very thing with my second batch with the tilt that was off.  This time I calibrated with water first.

I'll be interested in seeing your results.

I can live with some inaccuracy as long as it is consistent.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:50:33 am by mainebrewer »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 02:11:56 pm »

So far, mine reads a consistent 2 degrees lower than my hydrometer.  I could probably fix that with calibration, but I don't see the point.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 11:33:16 am »
No problems to report yet.
I have taken readings with Hydrometer and it was consistent with the TILT throughout fermentation.

I have also read that Krausen was an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:20:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll check back in a couple of months to see what everyone's experience has been with the Tilt's accuracy/consistency.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 05:30:32 pm »
I just got mine and haven't used it yet, but based on research, the krausen can certainly have an effect on readings especially when it sticks to the Tilt and remains on there.  This can result in readings that seem very low even after the krausen falls, but if cleaned off then plopped back in or measured with a traditional hydrometer, you'll see the reading is actually higher.

DM,
Have you used your Tilt?
I just received mine today and will be putting it to the test Sunday.