Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inexpensive 3-Way TC Ball Valve that is Easily Cleaned  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Inexpensive 3-Way TC Ball Valve that is Easily Cleaned
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:02:54 am »
   That isn't as true as it once was Jeff, a lot of the stuff I have bought in the last decade or so is not user serviceable as it is assembled with equipment which is not found in any but the most tool junkie-ish workshops. For example, a lot of the ball valves I have are pressed together and I have yet to figure out how to take them apart for cleaning without destroying them. Tip a modern clothes washer on it's side a take a look at it's guts and compare what you see to what one from the 70's or 80's looked like and you'll see what I'm talking about.

True, some assemblies are press fits, friction welds, or are hemmed together. In the auto business we would sometimes figure out how do disassemble a part we wanted to inspect and analyze. If we couldn't, a band saw, lathe, or a "flame wrench" was used.

"Flame wrench"? I like that, in the construction world we used to call it the fire axe, which when combined with a BFH could dismantle just about ennything.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 02:38:59 pm »
Yea - we always called the flame wrench the "Red Wrench" - when things got red, they always seemed to come apart pretty easily....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline drumminguy81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 01:13:25 am »
My solution to a 3 way butterfly setup. I probably have around $90 into this setup- the tee, two elbows, and two butterfly's all sourced from china.. I actually prefer this to the 3 way ball valve it replaced. I had a 3 way like posted from brewershardware it did come apart but I did not disassemble it to clean.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 07:02:58 am »
@drummingguy81, thank you. That is almost exactly what I'm considering in place of 3-ways.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 05:14:32 pm »
For TC fittings Amazon is your friend.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline drumminguy81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:27 am »
For TC fittings Amazon is your friend.
I have actually had better luck on Ebay, however I now have contact with one of the manufacturers of triclamp parts and valves in china and order direct from them the prices are unbeatable.. they have even made me a couple custom parts at no extra charge. Shipped ups air and received in less than a week.

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 12:57:54 pm »
My solution to a 3 way butterfly setup.
In your picture, is that a gate valve---left of center at the bottom---or some kind of diaphragm valve?

Thanks,
Matt

Offline drumminguy81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 05:10:14 am »
My solution to a 3 way butterfly setup.
In your picture, is that a gate valve---left of center at the bottom---or some kind of diaphragm valve?

Thanks,
Matt
It is a diaphragm valve. Excellent sanitary solution for flow rate control. I have one after each pump.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 06:35:07 am »
Drummingguy81, any chance you would post a wider angle view of your rig?  Curious how you have everything set up.

Offline drumminguy81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 11:02:33 pm »
No problem here you go.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 04:51:38 am »
Have you considered puting it in an autoclave/pressure cooker to kill bugs?
First, I don't have an autoclave. Second, I never considered pressure cooker, but am wary of over heating and damaging the PTFE, seals, etc. I'd need to check spec sheets specifically, but I think most of these lower cost valves are rated somwhere in the ~240 - 260F range, and an autoclave with steam splits the difference.

Brew day post-brew cleaning is an extended recirculation with PBR followed by 200F water and a final sanitizer rinse through the system. I've measured 190+ sustained surface temp on valves, which ought to sanitize their interiors sufficiently---in effect similar to your autoclave/pressure cooker at lower temp.

It's the gunk build-up that occurs with valves where the ball chamber isn't fully encapsulated that concerns me. If there is anything growing on the accumulation, my approach might not be sufficient to knock it down. An extended trip in an autoclave would solve that, subject to the caveats above, but still leave the gunk behind.

Personally, I like to strip down valves every six or so brew days to clean out any gunk and prevent accumulation. Actually, I have my sons do it as part of brewing with me --- those who would drink must work.
I worked at a commercial brewery as a professional Brewer and I can tell you that we didn’t take apart our valves every brew day some of the valves are very hard to get and we took them apart every six months for cleaning for the reasons that you stated and we a lot of piping that had elbows they would have an accumulation in the bends.  we followed the procedure very similar to what you talked about above with an oxidizer or PBW followed by a high temperature rinse and before each brew day we recirculated 200° water through the piping on the cold side for approximately 45 minutes that is a sterilization temperature and will kill beer spoilage organisms.  So I would recommend continuing what you’re doing and taking apart your valves twice a year to give them a good scrubbing and replace the software as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 10:47:00 am »
drummingguy, if that's your brew set up I want to see your drumkit! par rum pah pum pum!
Phoenix, AZ

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 06:28:04 pm »
3-way Ball Valve, 1.5 Inch Tri-Clamp, L-type from Blichmann
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:31:38 pm by HopDen »

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 03:48:13 pm »
@HopDen, you like the way the Blichman's come apart and reassemble for cleaning? Does it disassemble in under 1 minute? 2? 3? Same questions for reassembling.

@Ellismr, thanks!

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 04:22:35 pm »
@HopDen, you like the way the Blichman's come apart and reassemble for cleaning? Does it disassemble in under 1 minute? 2? 3? Same questions for reassembling.

@Ellismr, thanks!

I absolutely love them! Disassembly, cleaning and assembly are in order. I must say, I have one of their electric systems, and I am prejudiced by it. The valve, after removing the spring clip ( easy, pull with your hands) it simply unscrews.

Take a look at their website and watch the videos.

Cheers!!