Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Jacket Reviews  (Read 3844 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Keg Jacket Reviews
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:44 pm »
Entering Beer & Sweat this year made me realize that I'd like to get some of these.  Jamming a keg in a bucket of ice results in beer that's just too cold even if the bucket isn't filled up, as the diptube is at the bottom. 
Anyone use keg jackets?  Lots of brands out there.  Hearing that some don't fit well, some smell bad, etc.  Some have room for an ice blanket, some don't.  Any experience with them?  I use ball lock kegs exclusively. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Keg Jacket Reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:54:31 pm »
Not a kegger as you know, but seems to me that you had no issues.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »
Haha luckily some of the judges let the beers rest a bit before drinking.  The space is also limited as some guys use very large totes to cool their kegs.  I used 5 gallon buckets, which I'd do again if I don't get jackets. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:35:47 pm »
I've used one of these, one of the 2.5 gallon torpedo kegs fits in perfectly with room for a 6 pack on top. Add in a CO2 charger and a picnic tap and you're a walking party. I'd imagine a full 5 gallon keg would fit, although you couldn't close the top. Carrying it would be tough at that point also.

https://www.rei.com/product/896375/icemule-pro-cooler

Edit: I guess I should post my experience. Works great, left closed in the Central IL heat it'll keep ice for about 24 hours. Fits perfectly as a carryon, if you need a cooler while travelling on vacation. Build quality is very good, and carries very well when full (2.5 gallon keg & 6 pack, although keg does slosh around when less than full). There's enough room for the aforementioned keg and ice around it, I use some of the ice cube sheets. The mesh on the back is kind of scratchy if you're thinking about wearing it without a shirt (aka on the beach). The bottom and outside are very tough, and has stood up very well to scrapes and scratches.
 Here's someone else's full review:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/soft-cooler/ice-mule-pro
https://bestcooler.reviews/icemule-cooler-review/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:42:21 pm by Wilbur »

Offline Buxx

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:40:15 pm »
sac

Offline Buxx

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 11:41:22 pm »
Sorry for my Reply #4