Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with Rye  (Read 1910 times)

Offline jrector

• 1st Kit
Brewing with Rye
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:58:59 am »
I did a Rye IPA recipe the other day. I'm still a newbie (Just under a year brewing) and this was my first try at grain bill with Rye. The Rye was about 21% of the bill. I use a Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil electric system. The issue was, at about 15 minutes left in the boil the unit shut off with an E4 error. A safety error to keep the element from overheating. I couldn't clear it. I probably should have just tossed in the rest of the hops and called it a day but I transferred to my stainless pot and used a propane burner to finish the boil.

Both the M&B and the stainless pot were scorched. I'd never had that happen before and have several brews under my belt with the M&B. My thought is it had something to do with the Rye. Am I correct in my thinking? If so what are some things I can do to prevent this? I've heard the suggestion of a step mash. Is that reasonable?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Brewing with Rye
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 09:00:50 am »
I don't see why rye would have anything to do with scorching, unless you poured rye malt syrup into boiling wort with the heat still on.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jrector

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:04:01 am »
I don't see why rye would have anything to do with scorching, unless you poured rye malt syrup into boiling wort with the heat still on.

No syrup but I've heard Rye is "gummier" or more syrupy. Never had a scorched bottom until this brew.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 09:42:56 am »
I've used fairly good amounts of rye in both the M&B and the Grainfather.   Whatever the cause of your problem, it wasn't the rye.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jrector

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:58:51 am »
I've used fairly good amounts of rye in both the M&B and the Grainfather.   Whatever the cause of your problem, it wasn't the rye.

Okay, thanks Denny. Scratching my head now. :(

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 03:47:19 pm »
I could see a situation where the wort was recirculating in the mash and there was a gummed up "stuck mash" that had the effect of running the machine dry under the false bottom and resulting in the scorching, but if it happened when boiling without re-circulating and happened in the electric kettle and the propane fired kettle, it really sounds unusual. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jrector

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:17:16 am »
So I'm still thinking out loud for answers. In the electric kettle it happened within a couple of minutes of dropping in the immersion chiller. If the copper rested right over the element I wonder if it could have concentrated heat there and scorched? In the propane fired kettle my hop basket is too tall to hang in the pot so it rests on the bottom. The scorch pattern looks suspiciously like it follows where I moved the hop basket around. Again, I wonder if the heat concentrated there? I've never used that hop basket or the chiller in the propane kettle before.

Just throwing out ideas.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 08:05:45 am »
So I'm still thinking out loud for answers. In the electric kettle it happened within a couple of minutes of dropping in the immersion chiller. If the copper rested right over the element I wonder if it could have concentrated heat there and scorched? In the propane fired kettle my hop basket is too tall to hang in the pot so it rests on the bottom. The scorch pattern looks suspiciously like it follows where I moved the hop basket around. Again, I wonder if the heat concentrated there? I've never used that hop basket or the chiller in the propane kettle before.

Just throwing out ideas.  Thanks for the replies.

Chiller unlikely.  Hop basket possible
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell