Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to Homebrew: Headspace issue?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Chris W

• 1st Kit
  • Beer Lobbyist
    • Untappd
New to Homebrew: Headspace issue?
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:43:19 am »
I'm very new to home brewing and on Sunday I started a English Brown Ale. The recipe was pre-made by my local brew shop. It was brewed in a 1 gallon carboy and the wort/boil seemed to go well...the siphoning went ehh. I checked on the fermentation last night and it appears I had a blow out. carboy cap blown off and foam on the ground. Is this a case of not enough headspace? If so, is there a case of too much headspace if I would have used the 5 gallon carboy? Thanks in advance. I can add pics later if necessary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New to Homebrew: Headspace issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:50:40 am »
I'm very new to home brewing and on Sunday I started a English Brown Ale. The recipe was pre-made by my local brew shop. It was brewed in a 1 gallon carboy and the wort/boil seemed to go well...the siphoning went ehh. I checked on the fermentation last night and it appears I had a blow out. carboy cap blown off and foam on the ground. Is this a case of not enough headspace? If so, is there a case of too much headspace if I would have used the 5 gallon carboy? Thanks in advance. I can add pics later if necessary.

You've pretty much nailed it... your fermenter is too small.  You'll be fine with a 5 gal. fermenter
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:05:27 am »
And welcome to the forum!  You can get most things answered here, because many of us have made the mistakes that newer brewers face and can easily avoid.  It is a great hobby and I can say without hesitation that homebrews can be as well made or even better than commercial beers - keep on brewing!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Chris W

• 1st Kit
  • Beer Lobbyist
    • Untappd
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:16:19 am »
Cool. So just to clarify, even if i brewed a 1 gallon recipe a 5 gallon carboy is good for fermenting?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:00:28 am »
Cool. So just to clarify, even if i brewed a 1 gallon recipe a 5 gallon carboy is good for fermenting?

Yep.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:01 am »
You mentioned that the carboy cap had "blown off".  Just want to make sure that you had an airlock of some kind to allow gas to escape, and not a screw on cap that sealed the container.

Offline Chris W

• 1st Kit
  • Beer Lobbyist
    • Untappd
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:29:44 pm »
You mentioned that the carboy cap had "blown off".  Just want to make sure that you had an airlock of some kind to allow gas to escape, and not a screw on cap that sealed the container.

Correct, airlock was on the cap.

Offline Chris W

• 1st Kit
  • Beer Lobbyist
    • Untappd
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:10:52 pm »

Yep.

Quick follow up, I'm assuming I've lost this batch?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »

Yep.

Quick follow up, I'm assuming I've lost this batch?

I certainly wouldn't assume that until you taste it.  Beer can be very forgiving of homebrewers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 06:15:28 am »
I ageee with Denny.  I have had many blowouts where I had to search for the airlock and bung and the beer still turned out great!  Play it out and learn from your experiance.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉