Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brut IPA  (Read 2666 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Brut IPA
« on: December 24, 2018, 12:03:59 pm »
I just read the article on brut IPAs.  Has anyone tried or made one? Impressions?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brut IPA
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:09:27 pm »
I just read the article on brut IPAs.  Has anyone tried or made one? Impressions?

Haven't made one, but tried several.  IMO, when you add the amylase makes the difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 12:31:10 pm »

Haven't made one, but tried several.  IMO, when you add the amylase makes the difference.
Yeah, the author, Chris Colby, says to add the enzyme during fermentation for maximum dryness. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »

Yeah, the author, Chris Colby, says to add the enzyme during fermentation for maximum dryness. 

The best ones I've had added it on day 2 of fermentation.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:29:35 pm »
There was also an article in BYO magazine a couple of months ago (https://byo.com/article/brut-ipa/ ) and a free article on the MoreBeer web site (https://www.morebeer.com/articles/a_brut_ipa_tale ). Adding the AMG during the mash does not give as low an FG as adding it to the fermentation, bottoming out at 1.004 - 1.006. Adding it during fermentation can cause problems with diacetyl, though. Adding the AMG at SG of around 1.020 seems to be the best. However, adding it during fermentation may leave a beer with little foam retention because all the dextrines are gone. The inventor of the style suggests adding it during the mash, then adding some DME at the start of the boil (after the AMG is denatured) to give some good foam, although you will not get to 1.000 FG that way.

I am trying to decide which is more important to me: foam or a few less points in the FG. I am leaning towards foam, myself.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:10:15 am »
Just for gits and shiggles I added some to a Blonde after it settled at 1.008, even at only 10% of the recommended dosage rate the AMG took the beer down to 1.002, O.G. was 1.049. FWIW.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 11:49:28 am »
Tastes like IPA.  Sells because it has IPA in the title.  If/when we have Brut anything else, it won't sell and people will complain that it's too thin and watery.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »
Tastes like IPA.  Sells because it has IPA in the title.  If/when we have Brut anything else, it won't sell and people will complain that it's too thin and watery.
Just read about Lagunitas selling IPA-hop-infused sparkling water, possibly a brilliant shortcut here.  Because some people won't even drink thin and watery water unless they think  it's IPA.  And will drink absolutely anything they do think is IPA.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 03:22:18 pm »
Which yeasts produce good mouthfeel?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 08:26:13 am »

Sounds like you've only had bad ones.  I've had a couple that were stunning.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 08:26:32 am »
Which yeasts produce good mouthfeel?

WY1450

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 08:40:57 am »

Same here, one local brewery, Kickstand had the best I've tried. Mike the brewer doesn't really like NEIPAs, so this is his counterpoint to that style. He made a Noir Brut IPA, but I've not tried that one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 08:58:38 am »

No, they were good.  Just really dry IPAs.  I like IPA.  But I also like every other style of beer in the universe besides IPA.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline rusty_tlc

• 1st Kit
  • Yeasty beastie
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 10:26:15 am »

No, they were good.  Just really dry IPAs.  I like IPA.  But I also like every other style of beer in the universe besides IPA.

;D ;D ;D