Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ADA Compliance -- Zymurgy has failed  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Dave Carpenter

• Zymurgy editor
  • Cellarman
  • Zymurgy editor
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: ADA Compliance -- Zymurgy has failed
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:55:28 am »
It seems to me like the simple solution is to use colors that aren’t the same or close to the same.  A person should NOT have to download an app or magnify their screen image to read an article.

This is a fair point and one we are paying close attention to in upcoming issues. Yes, there were a couple of pages in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue that in hindsight ought to have had better contrast between the background and the text. I believe that's a separate issue from that of zoom levels in the digital edition, but both are obviously important for making sure readers can actually read the content.
Editor, Zymurgy and AHA Special Projects
American Homebrewers Association

Offline Mr_Beer

• Cellarman
Re: ADA Compliance -- Zymurgy has failed
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:12 am »
This thread started out as an attempt to outline issues with the Zymurgy magazine online.  During the course of this discussion I have had the pleasure of PM'n Dave Carpenter, the magazine editor.  His response has been fulsome in attempting to alleviate some of the issues. 

This thread has served its purpose -- notifying AHA management of some deficiencies with its digital offering.  Now they need time to decide what to do and then some more time to implement any changes they contemplate. 

At this point I have learned...
  • The Zymurgy app (Android and IOS) is apparently done by AHA personnel.  Any issues with the app are within the purview of AHA to change depending on budgets and work constraints and intended use. 
  • I have pointed out some implementation deficiencies and they will probably be addressed.  The most obvious deficiency is the ability to actually read the magazine on a small phone type device.  That issue can be alleviated by using a larger tablet device but it is not really a good solution, especially since most readers may not own a tablet in addition to their phone.
  • The Zymurgy printer for the hard copy of the magazine provides hosting services for the PC platform viewable web based version of the publication.  A quick glace indicates that they are using reasonable markup approaches for their publication.  Most of the heartache of the users is the inability to download a copy to a PC for offline viewing.  There are solutions for this but the AHA vendor may not be interested in those solutions.
  • There are current vendors for distributing and reading digital magazines -- Zinio and Amazon are two well recognized vendors.  There are a number of software platforms that help with publication.  All of those approaches are able to provide ADA compliant solutions. In the end it gets to issues of budget (workers and infrastructure devices) that AHA needs to reconcile.   
Awareness has been raised and AHA has responded.  Now we need to let them determine their approach.

My suggestion is that this thread be closed since I believe it has run it course.

Offline Mr_Beer

• Cellarman
Postscript: ADA Compliance -- Zymurgy has failed
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:25 am »
As a postscript addition to this thread today there was an interesting article regarding ADA compliance and the number of firms that are being sued for non-compliance. 
https://www.wsj.com/articles/lawsuits-surge-over-websites-access-for-the-blind-11550415600?mod=hp_listc_pos6
is a link to the article.  The WSJ is behind a paywall but the AHA management should have the ability to access the information.

Hopefully the message is being considered by the AHA management as they move forward.

Lawsuits are expensive, especially when brought by the government,  and avoidance is usually a matter of attitude and effort.