Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 52 - Getting Back to Brewing  (Read 858 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brew Files Podcast Ep. 52 - Getting Back to Brewing
« on: December 26, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-52-getting-back-brewing

The Brew is Out There! 

New Years is right around the corner which means so is the era of Resolutions. The most common resolution for brewers? I'm going to brew more! It's also one of the most failed. We're here to give you our tips for fighting the forces that stymie you so you can get back to what we all love - brewing!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 52 - Getting Back to Brewing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:47:21 am »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-52-getting-back-brewing

The Brew is Out There! 

New Years is right around the corner which means so is the era of Resolutions. The most common resolution for brewers? I'm going to brew more! It's also one of the most failed. We're here to give you our tips for fighting the forces that stymie you so you can get back to what we all love - brewing!

Great podcast. My first reply got eaten because of a time-out -- it's that kind of day, woke up at 5 to brew but realized my MT smelled off and instead found myself breaking down hardware and soaking the MT to the rim as well as all hardware in Oxiclean. So I'll write fast!

One more impediment, that comes up in Forum conversation, is physical.  With nearly half of all homebrewers 50 or older ( https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/homebrewing-stats/ ), processes that make brewing physically easier, such as smaller batches, automation, pumps, etc., also have the potential to keep more brewers in the game longer, and to attract new hobbyists who for whatever reason don't find moving large amounts of liquid and grain appealing or even possible. The homebrew shops selling those one-gallon kits are on to something.

Drew brought up making mead when he had insomnia. When I wake up with the "committee in my head" chattering away, one method I use for quieting by brain and getting back to sleep is designing a highly accessible brew stand that eliminates heavy lifting, among other goals. The "universal design brew stand" could be an interesting AHA research competition.

Anyway, thanks again for a great episode.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 52 - Getting Back to Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 10:47:49 am »
My break in homebrewing came not from putting it off... not having time etc. but rather from brewing too much. Several years ago my resolution was to keep every tap on my keezer full at all times. I was able to accomplish that but by the end of the year I was brewed out. To the point that it was nearly 9 years before I got back to it.

This year my brew-years resolution is simply to brew with a plan. I have one recipe I began working on this year that I want to continue to perfect and two styles that I want become proficient and consistent with. This plus a couple of equipment/brew room projects to complete.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato