Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Port  (Read 971 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Port
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:45:28 am »
Anyone know anything about the Ports below? We love Port and make it a point to have 8-10 bottles out between Christmas Eve and the new year. Someone I know is trading these with me for a fifth of Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel because he wants them gone and they are gathering dust. Thought someone out there may have tried some of them.

PS: This is our Port lineup for 2018 into 2019

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Port
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 11:03:05 pm »
I love Graham’s Six Grape.  Fonseca is always a good choice.  I don’t know anything about the ports you were given, though it looks like one is a brandy.

I have a mixed case of 1994 ports that I am saving for my retirement, including three of the 100 point wines from that vintage.  2 1/2 years to go!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:07:19 am »
The Royal 10 had been opened and a small amount poured. The cork was stuck and my wife broke it off. It was very crumbly. I tried a corkscrew, but that didn't work. Vacuumed out the pieces and then used a small screwdriver to pull the last piece upward. Decanted twice and tasted and it's a nice port. Not as complex as some of our other favorites, but certainly as good as any other $20-30 bottle. The 20 year is going to stay closed as is the 1.5 Liter. Best I can find the Royal 10 is $30, the Royal 20 is $45, the Quinto do Estanho 1.5L is $65, and the Dalva VSOP Brandy is $45
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:22:55 pm »
I am not a port drinker, though I can see the allure. However, I do have a great cranberry sauce recipe that I've made with either port or tequila (both work, but very different). Try it, you'll like it!! Super easy, and perfect this time of year (or for Turkey Day).

Cranberry Sauce with Tequila & Tangerines (also can be made with Port instead of Tequila)
         1 (12-ounce) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
          1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar - I like less sugar
         1/2 cup Port or Tequila
         3-4 tangerines zested
         1/2 cup tangerine juice (from the tangerines)

Preparation -
Bring cranberries, sugar, and zest to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in juice. Cool completely.

Can be made up to a week early & kept stored in fridge in airtight container.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL