Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to brew for my 300th batch?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What to brew for my 300th batch?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 03:15:47 pm »
I’m liking the idea of a Tripel. Something that I can bottle condition and enjoy for a while. So, here goes a quick recipe
13 lbs of Pilsner
1 lb of Simplicity Candisyrup
1 lb of cane sugar
30 IBU Noble hops (I have some Hersbruker)
WY 3787
Not sure if the Candisyrup will add any flavor contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, it won't.  I'd go all sugar myself.
Thanks for the input. That will save me some money.

Raw cane sugar -- not Demerara or Turbinado, but the stuff that's just not quite as white as table sugar, like Florida Crystals  --  adds virtually no color, but does add quite a nice flavor, unlike fully refined white sugar.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I question whether you want any flavor from it...I'd say no.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 03:20:46 pm »
I’m liking the idea of a Tripel. Something that I can bottle condition and enjoy for a while. So, here goes a quick recipe
13 lbs of Pilsner
1 lb of cane sugar
WY 3787

Raw cane sugar -- not Demerara or Turbinado, but the stuff that's just not quite as white as table sugar, like Florida Crystals  --  adds virtually no color, but does add quite a nice flavor, unlike fully refined white sugar.

I question whether you want any flavor from it...I'd say no.
True in this case, probably.  I was just contrasting raw sugar with the simplicity, which is probably going to be like white sugar, but for 6 bucks for the equivalent of 3/4 lb.   If you ever do want flavor without color.   IIRC Duvel uses dextrose.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 05:57:27 pm »
13 lbs of Pilsner
1 lb of cane sugar
WY 3787

Florida Crystals has an invert syrup now using thier raw cane sugar as its base. Good stuff.

The key difference between a light syrup and hard sugars will be how the yeast metabolize it. Invert syrup means less work for the yeast. Does it make a difference? I don’t know exactly, although I tend towards the Florida Crystals syrup in a Tripel.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 06:17:37 pm »
13 lbs of Pilsner
1 lb of cane sugar
WY 3787

Florida Crystals has an invert syrup now using thier raw cane sugar as its base. Good stuff.

The key difference between a light syrup and hard sugars will be how the yeast metabolize it. Invert syrup means less work for the yeast. Does it make a difference? I don’t know exactly, although I tend towards the Florida Crystals syrup in a Tripel.
Never seen that.  I use Florida Crystals raw cane sugar as the base for my British style Invert syrups, just made some No. 2(ish) last night.  I don't think -- if you are not looking for color or extra flavor as from darker syrups  --  it makes a huge difference to the yeast in average gravity beers. The yeast are capable of producing plenty of their own invertase.   But it is, as you point out, work for them, and they already  have quite a bit of work to do in a Tripel.  As I think about  it, I would think it prudent to give them ready-made invert in that case, whether Simplicity or this cane product which is no doubt more economical.   I'll have to look and see if it was right in front of me last time I bought the granules. 

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »
13 lbs of Pilsner
1 lb of cane sugar
WY 3787

Do you add any other malt besides Pils in yours?

Dan Chisholm

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 06:25:07 pm »
13 lbs of Pilsner
1 lb of cane sugar
WY 3787

Do you add any other malt besides Pils in yours?

Yeah. I rarely use just Pils malt as the base for any of my Trappist series.

I mix Pils/Pale Ale from Weyermann at 50/50 or Pils/Vienna from Weyermann at 70/30 to form my “base” malt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:03 am »
When I make triple, I stick with just pils and sugar, a la Westmalle.  After all they invented the style.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 12:06:35 pm »
When I make triple, I stick with just pils and sugar, a la Westmalle.  After all they invented the style.

For me, mixing base malts just makes a modified base malt. Not all that out of the ordinary but if I want to clone Westmalle I’d probably stick with Pilsner/Pale Ale. My inspiration is always Westmalle Tripel but I also add some CaraHell. For Singles and Tripels I don’t use Vienna in the blend.

For Dubbel and Dark Strong I blend in Vienna for my custom base malt and use a few select specialty malts: CaraBelge, CaraMunich II, CaraBohemian and Special B. Not all in the same recipe obviously.

I really love using 3787. It’s probably my favorite yeast.

EDIT: With all that said, I don’t go nuts with any of these four beers (All I brew anymore is Single, Dubbel, Tripel, and Dark Strong) and pay extra attention to fermentation. I really just use 3787, 1214, and 1762 based on what I want, although I have used 3787 exclusively for all of them for a while.

I limit lighter beers to Pils/Pale Ale/CaraHell, with Singles getting light spices (Coriander and Sweet Orange) and Tripels getting sugars.

For Dubbel and Dark Strong Pils/Vienna as my base, sugars in both, with Dubbel getting a mix of 2 lighter Cara malts, and Dark Strong getting Special B. I don’t use anymore than 2 specialties and only in Dubbel.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:53:59 pm by Big Monk »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »
I use the Florida Crystals in my Tripels, and they always finish plenty dry (last one was 1.007).  I'd be interested to try their invert syrup though, if I can find it.

Pils, a blend of pils and pale, or either of those with a touch of torrified wheat makes for a nice one in my opinion (with an ample does of sugar).

I really just use 3787, 1214, and 1762 based on what I want, although I have used 3787 exclusively for all of them for a while.

Have you ever tried 3864?  I tapped a keg of Belgian Blonde about an hour ago that was fermented with it, and the yeast character is great - probably a bit too high for the style even though I kept the temp below 68° in an effort to subdue it a bit. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Big Monk

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 07:22:59 pm »

For me, mixing base malts just makes a modified base malt. Not all that out of the ordinary but if I want to clone Westmalle I’d probably stick with Pilsner/Pale Ale. My inspiration is always Westmalle Tripel but I also add some CaraHell. For Singles and Tripels I don’t use Vienna in the blend.

For Dubbel and Dark Strong I blend in Vienna for my custom base malt and use a few select specialty malts: CaraBelge, CaraMunich II, CaraBohemian and Special B. Not all in the same recipe obviously.

I really love using 3787. It’s probably my favorite yeast.

EDIT: With all that said, I don’t go nuts with any of these four beers (All I brew anymore is Single, Dubbel, Tripel, and Dark Strong) and pay extra attention to fermentation. I really just use 3787, 1214, and 1762 based on what I want, although I have used 3787 exclusively for all of them for a while.

I limit lighter beers to Pils/Pale Ale/CaraHell, with Singles getting light spices (Coriander and Sweet Orange) and Tripels getting sugars.

For Dubbel and Dark Strong Pils/Vienna as my base, sugars in both, with Dubbel getting a mix of 2 lighter Cara malts, and Dark Strong getting Special B. I don’t use anymore than 2 specialties and only in Dubbel.

I use the Florida Crystals in my Tripels, and they always finish plenty dry (last one was 1.007).  I'd be interested to try their invert syrup though, if I can find it.

Pils, a blend of pils and pale, or either of those with a touch of torrified wheat makes for a nice one in my opinion (with an ample does of sugar).

I really just use 3787, 1214, and 1762 based on what I want, although I have used 3787 exclusively for all of them for a while.

Have you ever tried 3864?  I tapped a keg of Belgian Blonde about an hour ago that was fermented with it, and the yeast character is great - probably a bit too high for the style even though I kept the temp below 68° in an effort to subdue it a bit.

As much as I really enjoy Unibroue and thier great beers, when I brew it’s really Trappist inspired and more traditional. I mainly make changes in ingredients but stick to the “Big Three”: 3787, 1214, and 1762, with occasional forays with Duvel yeast.

I guess it’s a bit difficult to explain, but while I love Ommegang and Unibroue and think they are the best North American Belgian style beers there are, I don’t want to replicate those yeast derived flavors in my own.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 07:31:37 am »
At the risk of a derail, I 'd be curious, Monk, what you think of Allagash, especially in regards to how American brewers adapt/take inspiration from Belgian brews.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Big Monk

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 08:30:37 am »
At the risk of a derail, I 'd be curious, Monk, what you think of Allagash, especially in regards to how American brewers adapt/take inspiration from Belgian brews.

Well, let me start by saying that I enjoy Allagash. In particular, I really enjoy thier Dubbel. Thier Tripel suffers from the same flaw I see in most North American versions: it has a lot of Hefe like yeast character, which is not only distracting given my benchmarks are Westmalle and Chimay, but generally unappealing to me. I get the same general flavor profile, albeit with some nuanced differences in Golden Monkey, Pranqster, Merry Monks, etc.

Pranqster is the least offensive American Tripel IMO. I enjoy North Coast immensely and am a big fan of a brother Thelonious, and in general, I think North American breweries do better with darker Belgian styles.

Unibroue and Ommegang seem to exist outside of the other North American breweries for me.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 09:56:25 am »
As much as I really enjoy Unibroue and thier great beers, when I brew it’s really Trappist inspired and more traditional. I mainly make changes in ingredients but stick to the “Big Three”: 3787, 1214, and 1762, with occasional forays with Duvel yeast.

I guess it’s a bit difficult to explain, but while I love Ommegang and Unibroue and think they are the best North American Belgian style beers there are, I don’t want to replicate those yeast derived flavors in my own.

Are you still on hiatus or are you brewing again now?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Big Monk

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 10:03:20 am »

Are you still on hiatus or are you brewing again now?

I’ve brewed a few times in the past year.

I’m looking to sell my Braumeister and setup to get something smaller and do micro batches.