Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this kit good and what is a reasonable price to pay?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline donghominhtuongclock

• 1st Kit
Is this kit good and what is a reasonable price to pay?
« on: January 23, 2019, 03:56:10 am »
This is my first brewing. I wanted to start with one of the canned worts then move on to making my worts from scratch.

This kit is 5yrs old from Northern Brewer and still in the box. It seems to have a keg with a carbonation system. I like the idea of not having to bottle the beer.

Northern Brewer doesn't have this kit anymore with the keg and carbonation system. Is it a bad idea? They paid $360 for the equipment. What would be a good price?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Is this kit good and what is a reasonable price to pay?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:33:34 am »
I can’t really comment on the “carbonation system” you’re referring to and the photo you provided is far too small for this old guy to see and comprehend.  Regarding the ingredients in the kit, I would say the malt extracts MAY be okay to use.  However, the hops and yeast are no doubt unusable and should be replaced with fresh.

If NB no longer sells whatever it is you have, it might be because it didn’t sell very well or it didn’t work very well.  If you’re interested in learning how to brew beer for the first time, I suggest a book by John Palmer titled: “How To Brew”.  It’s a great book and brings you through all necessary aspects of the craft.  Also, I suggest buying a “Home Brewing Starter Kit”.  This kit will have all the necessity items needed to brew your first extract kit - excluding the ingredients.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to bring your questions to this forum.  There is a wealth of knowledge and experiance right here at your fingertips.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:35:32 am »
I recommend buying good equipment up front. Buy once cry once. If you end up getting out of the hobby you can sell it for a loss but nevertheless recoup some money.

Normally, when you buy a kit you get entry level equipment. In my opinion, if you decide you like to brew you will upgrade to better equipment (buying twice). If you decide you do not like to brew you will be stuck with this because no one will buy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:47:39 pm »
The value can really only be assessed based on what is in the kit. 

At 5 years old any ingredients are likely past there use by date so they aren't worth anything.
It's really hard to see but it looks like it has the making of the old standard "Advanced Brewer's Kit"
Bucket
Carboy
Hydrometer/test jar
spoon
hoses
airlock
stoppers and such
These used to run $100 to $150ish with your first recipe.

The one item that may make it worth something is tall item with black bottom and top.  Is that a corny keg?
Does it have a CO2 tank and regulator?
If it is a keg and has a CO2 tank and regulator you may have a reasonable deal in today's market.

Either way you still need a kettle and a fresh kit.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?