Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Found...WHOA!  (Read 2056 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Found...WHOA!
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Found...WHOA!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »
Very nifty, but I am a little dismayed that they say it won't ever be tasted. bah! It's a beverage, it should be drunk.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:55:28 pm »
I'm with Drew - what a travesty!  I think once they put the one bottle back under the floor of the shack we need to mount an expedition . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »
Sheesh.  I don't like scotch but I'd taste that.

Someone gave me a bottle of scotch from the 70s found cleaning out an old house.  They had several, don't recall the brand and too lazy to go to the basement and check. 

Regardless, it was approx $7 in the 70s.  They don't make it any more.

I cracked it open for my old man and then looked it up on the web.  Someone was selling a case on ebay - for the novelty of the bottles of course, not for the booze - for somewhere around $2000.

I put the cap back on and told my dad it's for special occasions...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:39:14 pm »
That's cool jrdunne, I know you said you don't like scotch but did you taste it?

My brother in law and I drank a bottle of Night Train that was probably 20 years old but they don't exactly vintage date that stuff.  It was very oxidized with lots of sediment in the bottom, and it was actually pretty good all things considered.  I have no idea what it originally tasted like though, so I don't know if it was an improvement or not - I imagine it was.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:51:08 pm »
The Endurance is the most fantastic exploration story of all time! Read it.

Some sailors tried to repeat it a couple of years ago and failed miserably. Of course the initial voyge wa a failure too, but no-one was lost. An incredible story.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/History/Ernest%20Shackleton_Trans-Antarctic_expedition.htm
Brew on

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:06 am »
That's cool jrdunne, I know you said you don't like scotch but did you taste it?

My brother in law and I drank a bottle of Night Train that was probably 20 years old but they don't exactly vintage date that stuff.  It was very oxidized with lots of sediment in the bottom, and it was actually pretty good all things considered.  I have no idea what it originally tasted like though, so I don't know if it was an improvement or not - I imagine it was.

I did taste it.  It was good, very smooth.  But I prefer bourbon, so I'm not too much of an expert on scotch.  My dad loved it, so I had to snatch the bottle back.

I still have about 1/3 of the bottle left.  For holidays or cold nights.  Or whenever.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton