Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Increasing body in stout recipie  (Read 4347 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Increasing body in stout recipie
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 09:05:38 pm »
Another question.  What were your OG and FG numbers?  If it attenuated way down, that could also give the perception of being thin.

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022
Man, that should have tons of body to it! Bordering on cloying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

^^^Exactly what I was thinking. Respectfully, another possible reason for why you think the body is thin: your palate. The beer's numbers and ingredients suggest that it should be full of body and fullness, provided the carbonation is reasonable. Did you get a second and third opinion on the beer? Based on the recipe, there's not much more you can do to increase the body. You could add a little wheat malt, but if you didn't get body from the recipe in its current form, you likely won't detect any more body from adding wheat.

Yes, I have had three other friends of mine try this with a similar response, descriptions included thin and almost watery.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 09:14:14 pm »
Another question.  What were your OG and FG numbers?  If it attenuated way down, that could also give the perception of being thin.

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022

^^^Exactly what I was thinking. Respectfully, another possible reason for why you think the body is thin: your palate. The beer's numbers and ingredients suggest that it should be full of body and fullness, provided the carbonation is reasonable. Did you get a second and third opinion on the beer? Based on the recipe, there's not much more you can do to increase the body. You could add a little wheat malt, but if you didn't get body from the recipe in its current form, you likely won't detect any more body from adding wheat.

Yes, I have had three other friends of mine try this with a similar response, descriptions included thin and almost watery.
That's crazy man, the only thing I can think of is carbonation or water profile.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »
Did you calibrate your thermometer recently?  Perhaps that mash temp was actually lower due to the thermometer being off a bit?  Just a WAG...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 01:26:01 pm »
Just to get the question out of the way, did you use a hydrometer for your final gravity measurement or a refractometer?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 02:17:35 pm »

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022

That's crazy man, the only thing I can think of is carbonation or water profile.

I agree.  It should have lots of body.  My stouts all finish in the low 20's and I have never had a body issue with them.  The only things I can think of are either carbonation or measurement error, as mentioned by others on the list.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 04:36:14 pm »
Just to get the question out of the way, did you use a hydrometer for your final gravity measurement or a refractometer?

Hydrometer, I never use my refractometer anymore....
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 04:40:12 pm »
I agree.  It should have lots of body.  My stouts all finish in the low 20's and I have never had a body issue with them.  The only things I can think of are either carbonation or measurement error, as mentioned by others on the list.

One reason this is so puzzling to me is I have another stout recipe I use that finishes about the same gravity and it always turns out fine. Sounds like I should try this recipe again, perhaps with a new thermometer, re-calibrate my pH meter, and build up my water profile a bit before I try any actual ingredient changes. 

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Offline hopsindahood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 10:50:08 am »
+1 on water profile