Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping with hop hash  (Read 2052 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Dry hopping with hop hash
« on: January 01, 2019, 09:52:32 am »
I think I've read every post on the forum about hop hash but there seems to be no real consensus on the best way to add it to the fermenter. Many say that if you just add it in like pellets, it won't dissolve so it's suggested that you mix it with vodka, shake and add.  Others just drop it in and do nothing.

For those who have used it, what has worked best for you? Also, I've heard it can go bad fast so if I use half a package and vacuum seal them, should that be ok?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry hopping with hop hash
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:36:01 am »
My problem with hop hash is not so much that it goes bad fast, but that it's already oxidized when you get it due to how it's made.  So in that respect, use it as soon as possible.  If you add some pellets to the fermenter also, it helps it drop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 05:55:59 am »
I think I've only used hop hash once and I used it in the boil if I recall.  It was a free conference giveaway, so I think I had a quarter ounce or something like that and with the high alpha I used it as a bittering charge. 

I've been using pelletized cryo hops in my last couple beers and I haven't had any issues either in the boil or with dryhopping, but I believe that's a different process? The cryo hops cost twice as much, but I use half as much, so it all comes out in the wash.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:23:54 am »
I think I've only used hop hash once and I used it in the boil if I recall.  It was a free conference giveaway, so I think I had a quarter ounce or something like that and with the high alpha I used it as a bittering charge. 

I've been using pelletized cryo hops in my last couple beers and I haven't had any issues either in the boil or with dryhopping, but I believe that's a different process? The cryo hops cost twice as much, but I use half as much, so it all comes out in the wash.

The process is different.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MerlinBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:35:53 pm »
I put the hop into muslin bag and hook it on short rope. My fermenter has a special hook near the top.
The bags is floating in the middle of the wort. The bag must be big enough to let the hop to spread and yield aroma.
Of course the bag and rope must be previously sanitised.
This works fine for me.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:07 am »
I put the hop into muslin bag and hook it on short rope. My fermenter has a special hook near the top.
The bags is floating in the middle of the wort. The bag must be big enough to let the hop to spread and yield aroma.
Of course the bag and rope must be previously sanitised.
This works fine for me.
I'm still not sure what I will do but I think it's likely I'll just throw them in there loose.  I do cold crash and I don't think hash will leave that much vegetable matter. My main concern is just that it get dispersed properly.