Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OYL-218 All The Bretts question  (Read 1319 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
OYL-218 All The Bretts question
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:30:03 am »
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of using this yeast in secondary and was just wondering - does this drop the pH much? I was also thinking of adding lacto, but don't want the beer getting overly sour.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: OYL-218 All The Bretts question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:26 am »
Brett generally does not create acidity. If you get acidity from brett then it is primarily acetic acid from excessive oxygen exposure. Your goal with brett generally should not be to create acidity.

If you're looking to introduce a small amount of acidity an easy way to do that is to add brett to your beer and give it months to mature. When you are happy with the brett character, brew a small kettle sour version of the same beer and blend the kettle sour into the brett beer. Then package.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: OYL-218 All The Bretts question
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:11:39 pm »
Brett generally does not create acidity. If you get acidity from brett then it is primarily acetic acid from excessive oxygen exposure. Your goal with brett generally should not be to create acidity.

If you're looking to introduce a small amount of acidity an easy way to do that is to add brett to your beer and give it months to mature. When you are happy with the brett character, brew a small kettle sour version of the same beer and blend the kettle sour into the brett beer. Then package.
This is a great idea. Then you can adjust the ratio of the two beers to get the sourness level that you want.
Dan Chisholm