Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wood aging (other than oak)  (Read 11034 times)

Offline drtanglebones

• 1st Kit
Re: Wood aging (other than oak)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 04:16:13 pm »
Surly has served a cask version of Cynic ale (mostly a saison) aged on alder wood.  Pretty subtle, but nice. 

I'd like to try some cherry or apple wood and see what happens.  I don't know how to get a good toast on it though...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 12:07:02 am »
Surly has served a cask version of Cynic ale (mostly a saison) aged on alder wood.  Pretty subtle, but nice. 

I'd like to try some cherry or apple wood and see what happens.  I don't know how to get a good toast on it though...
I toast wood with my grill - I just hold the wood with some metal tongs and put it close to the flame and watch the color development.  It takes a little practice to keep it from burning, but once you do one piece it's really easy.  I do them as sticks, cutting about 3/4 inch pieces off of a board.  You could probably toast them in your oven too, but I haven't done it that way.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 09:16:39 am »
How bout Pecan? If you've ever smoked with it, it leaves a nice sweet flavor in meat.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 09:59:32 am »
I'll bet that would be good, if you try it let me know how it goes.  I'll see if I can get some and add it to the pile of wood still waiting to be tried :)
Tom Schmidlin