Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick Disconnects for Gas Lines  (Read 1065 times)

Offline UnequivocalBrewing

• Cellarman
Quick Disconnects for Gas Lines
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:50:32 pm »
I have a dual gauge regulator with multiple (3-way and 2-way) distributors/manifolds hanging off them with 5-6 pin and ball lock connectors hanging off them.  I'm constantly moving the tank, regulator, and hoses....to sanitize kegs, do closed transfers, serve kegs, etc.  This becomes a PITA.

I was hoping there would be a simpler way to connect and disconnect the lines from the distributors/manifolds.  The swivel nuts are ok but sometimes get stuck and don't swivel easily.  I was looking for something that is more plug and go...

I founds these but reviews haven't been fantastic:

https://www.kegworks.com/quick-disconnects-for-5-16-beer-line-and-air-line

Any other approaches people use?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Quick Disconnects for Gas Lines
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:15:02 pm »
I don't have close to the tangled mess it sounds like you have, but just enough mess that, in the situations you mention (moving everything to do a transfer, etc.) it does make me think there's an easier way.  Maybe at some point the simplest thing is to leave the draught system in place, and just keep a separate bottle of gas with a single regulator and short line on hand, just for the mobile ops?  Just a thought. 

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline UnequivocalBrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:14:50 am »
Yup, you are probably right.  Good thought and probably can watch for deals for a cheap regulator and tank...might ultimately be less than additional hardware.  Thx!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:43:07 am »
I went with a single small tank and separate regulator and line for this type of thing.  Then I went with a mini regulator with disposable CO2 cartridges for ultra portability....cost is an issue but I don’t use it often.  It is handy, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:27:15 am »
I have a couple of those connectors in my system.  I needed a way to hook up a beer gun and it seemed like an easy way to insert all the connections at one time.

I haven't had any trouble with them.  I admit I don't use the beer gun very often but the coupler in my main gas line from the regulator has never given me any trouble.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:27:52 am »
I use standard brass pneumatic disconnects on my gas lines.  They work just fine, though over time they seem to wear out and not hold a good seal.  Mine have been in service for probably 10 years, maybe more.

I also have a portable set up for use as needed. 

One thing I need to do is add check valves on the lines, but that's got nothing to do with the QDs.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton