Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Equipment you own but have never used  (Read 7862 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: Equipment you own but have never used
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 11:41:53 am »
I got two Erlenmeyer flasks, 3L and 5L. I have not build a lager fridge yet so no starters for me yet.

Ok, I've gotta ask.. why do you consider the lager fridge to be vital to making starters? All my starters happen on the stir plate in the "lab" at room temperature.

Gotta read his whole post.  I think's he's saying that since he doesn't have a lager fridge, he doesn't do lagers AND he said for his ales, he uses dry yeast THEREFORE he hasn't done any starters.

Bingo! There I go making assumptions for all. I suppose I could pull my kegs out of the keggerator and lager in the fridge but I would rather know that I am fermenting at XX*F instead of 5 on the dial. Know what I mean , Vern?   I have not made a starter in a while. I don't see the need with my ales, When I get into a lager fridge I hope to play around with the larger selection of vials of yeast versus the Dry 05 I use. I believe a decent starter would help with a lager, Not required I'm sure but it will be fun to put those bad boys to use.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 11:42:56 am »
I got two Erlenmeyer flasks, 3L and 5L. I have not build a lager fridge yet so no starters for me yet. I stick to dry for the ales. I just scored a Temp controller for cheap so the lager fridge will be here soon.
I have no experience with dried lager yeasts, but if you're used to dried yeast for your ales you might want to try them for your lagers and see how they come out.

Yeah, I may default to the dry for lagers too. But then I would not get to play with the big flasks!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:17 am »
Ahh, didn't realise you meant you used only dried yeast for the ales. Now I love me some US-05, but only dried yeast for your ales seems damn limiting.

But then again, if it works for you, it works for you!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:52:10 am »
I got two Erlenmeyer flasks, 3L and 5L. I have not build a lager fridge yet so no starters for me yet. I stick to dry for the ales. I just scored a Temp controller for cheap so the lager fridge will be here soon.
I have no experience with dried lager yeasts, but if you're used to dried yeast for your ales you might want to try them for your lagers and see how they come out.

Yeah, I may default to the dry for lagers too. But then I would not get to play with the big flasks!
Yeah, give them a shot.  And to Drew's point, there's a lot of different yeasts out there that are only available in liquid form.  Once you try your starters with lagers, try them for ales too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »

I just brewed up a big starter the other day in my new 5L Erlenmeyer flask.  It was a big improvement over using a pot and plastic milk jugs.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 05:41:24 pm »
Blichmann beer gun. Bought it last year . .never even opened the box.  :-\

Do you not bottle, or just don't like this device? 

I have a BG, and love it.  but I only bottle for sharing and comps.

I don't bottle for myself . . But I kinda thought about a beer exchange where I could send some of my wares to folks who could give me some feedback and I'd know the beers would arrive in good condition. . just got busy with other beer things and never really got the plan off the ground.   :(
Just brew it...

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:04:23 pm »
I bought the wine thief from the guys that make the auto-siphon, and I think I used it once.  I also bought the co2 cap that you can put on 2 liter bottles and never used it.  I don't even remember where it is.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 06:01:22 am »
I bought the wine thief from the guys that make the auto-siphon, and I think I used it once. 

Same here!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:31 am »
5 gallon Better Bottle.  I bought a 6 gallon one after 1 batch when I realized that you only get about 4 gallons of beer out of it after you transfer.  It sat dormant for so long, that I found a dead mouse in it once.  :P
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 08:01:54 pm »
Aquarium pump with sanitary filter and air stone for aerating - all still in their packages.  I ended up just sticking with the Mix Stir.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 03:45:51 am »
bottling bucket.  I went straight to kegs and have never had the desire to bottle condition anything as of yet
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 06:36:42 am »
A chrome tower with 2 taps.  It will get used, once I get around to getting the second dorm fridge to turn into another kegerator.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 04:47:19 pm »
Ahh, didn't realise you meant you used only dried yeast for the ales. Now I love me some US-05, but only dried yeast for your ales seems damn limiting.

But then again, if it works for you, it works for you!
My LHBS's don't carry a large selection of dry yeast, Vials-o-plenty though. The economy and my wallet are more limiting that the selection though...;)

Blichmann beer gun. Bought it last year . .never even opened the box.  :-\

Do you not bottle, or just don't like this device? 

I have a BG, and love it.  but I only bottle for sharing and comps.

I don't bottle for myself . . But I kinda thought about a beer exchange where I could send some of my wares to folks who could give me some feedback and I'd know the beers would arrive in good condition. . just got busy with other beer things and never really got the plan off the ground.   :(

Northernbrewer's forum used to have an exchange, it was monthly and one organizer randomly paired participants.
I stopped participating due to kegging but know that I have bottled from kegs I'd participate again.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 05:05:55 pm »
A bottle of star san

Just kidding. ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 11:27:14 am »
I bought a co2 tap that pushes into the top of the 5 liter mini-kegs, thinking I'd start using mini-kegs instead of bottles.  Didn't really catch on though....

Maybe we should work out some kind of unused equipment trade.  Anyone like mini-kegs?
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers