Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Manometer  (Read 9296 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Manometer
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 03:05:56 pm »
All you need to do is turn off the pump to see where the static water level is.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 03:09:34 pm »
Not if you are using a grant. Though you cpuld close a valve. But I have a graduated valve on mine and I can adjust flow via two tubes without closing valve.

I see what you are saying but two is better than one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:11:18 pm by majorvices »

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 06:20:02 pm »
After running off to the kettle I've noticed that the grain bed is somewhat pulled away from the sides of the mash tun and seems to be somewhat compacted, leading me to think maybe I'm running the pump too fast,

Sounds like you're getting wall flow and poor grain bed perfusion. Optimum flow during vourlauf is said to be 1 GPM, so it's possible that your flow rate is too high, but mash tun geometry may also be a factor.

I used to slow the speed of my March HS-809 pump using a variable transformer. But in 2005 I switched to a herms system using a 1/4 inch coil, and it slowed the flow down perfectly with no modulation. So if flow rate is the problem you could consider using a restrictor instead of a transformer.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 08:44:14 pm »
After running off to the kettle I've noticed that the grain bed is somewhat pulled away from the sides of the mash tun and seems to be somewhat compacted, leading me to think maybe I'm running the pump too fast,

Sounds like you're getting wall flow and poor grain bed perfusion. Optimum flow during vourlauf is said to be 1 GPM, so it's possible that your flow rate is too high, but mash tun geometry may also be a factor.

I used to slow the speed of my March HS-809 pump using a variable transformer. But in 2005 I switched to a herms system using a 1/4 inch coil, and it slowed the flow down perfectly with no modulation. So if flow rate is the problem you could consider using a restrictor instead of a transformer.

Charlie

Interesting suggestion. I have a 1/4" cfc that runs full bore at .6 gpm. I'm only a pump away from a counter flow herms.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 04:45:17 am »
I do think that the HERMS coil I use acts as a throttle, as Charlie says.  Plus I use the small DC Topsflo pump, which is likely a difference from a March pump’s pull on the grainbed? Again wide open only is used at the higher mash temps when the mash thins out a bit and I am doing full volume mashes.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 06:55:38 am »
A double manometer has been installed on my mash tun and is awaiting the new brew day when I can try it out, hopefully this weekend.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 07:04:07 am »
A double manometer has been installed on my mash tun and is awaiting the new brew day when I can try it out, hopefully this weekend.

Let us know how it works.  Inquiring minds want to know about the two manometer thing.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »

Let us know how it works.  Inquiring minds want to know about the two manometer thing.

A picture would be great, too, if you can swing it!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 01:37:33 pm »
I'm not sure how to attach a picture so I'll attempt to paint one with words. I used 2 weldless flex sight glasses from brewhardware.com. One sight glass is 2 x 1/4" SS elbows secured with a weldless fitting, with a piece of silicone tubing stretched between them and secured with hose clamps. The lower elbow of one sight glass is located 7/16" on center above the false bottom. I couldn't get it much closer. The other one is about an inch below the false bottom. They are close enough together that the tubes touch along their entire length. They are located about 3 1/2" from the valve.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:17 pm »

Excellent. Let us know what you find out. As we used to say back at the drug lab, negative data is still data!

My experience is that you have to upload the pic to a service such as Google Drive and link to it from there. I don't know why the forum can't host photos (bandwidth?), but it's a real PITA to post pics.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 06:35:46 pm »

Excellent. Let us know what you find out. As we used to say back at the drug lab, negative data is still data!

My experience is that you have to upload the pic to a service such as Google Drive and link to it from there. I don't know why the forum can't host photos (bandwidth?), but it's a real PITA to post pics.

Charlie
I've never successfully linked a photo from Google Drive or Photos, though it's supposed to work.  Apparently it works from third party hosting sites like imgur or photobucket.   But seemingly not Google Photos.  But if you post from the Tapatalk app, it is dead easy to include an image from your phone or other storage in your post.  Only reason I installed the app.  This should probably be mentioned in the sticky on images in the AHA Messages, Forum Rules and FAQs board.

EDIT to clarify, you can post a link address to an image on Google Drive for others to click on.  But to get the image to appear in the post, the hosting sites or Tapatalk are apparently the only way.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:36:50 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:38 am »
Thanks Robert

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 03:51:59 am »

I'm sensing some doubt there...
Would've been funnier if it was a photo lab.

Offline Robert

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 06:33:47 am »
Thanks Robert

Just wondering if that support grid design doesn't promote channeling/ wall flow.  How do you get even flow down through each cell to a single draw off?  Could be your problem right there.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 06:51:21 am »
Very clean install. That should work well.

However, as Robert already pointed out, the grid seams to lie flat on the bottom of the vessel while the edges allow flow thru the bevel of the grid. I wonder if the center grid panels could be notched with a dremel every half inch, or so to promote flow under the grid without sacrificing strength.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk