Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy "Beer" Magazine  (Read 3277 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Zymurgy "Beer" Magazine
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 12:01:44 pm »
I've made beer, mead and cider. My wife is doing fermented vegetables. We have problems with articles about those subjects being covered in Zymurgy.

I get really ticked off when they have extract brewing articles. That was hyperbole, wrapped in some sarcasm.

How about electric brewing articles? I don't brew that way, but it looks to be an attractive way to brew.

The magazine has to appeal and satisfy many different backgrounds and desires.

The "Best Beers in America" issue generates the most online hits and references to Zymurgy and the AHA. Gary Glass had stated that often. I have found some good recipes supplied by different breweries just for that one article. Brewery owners such as Vinnie Cilurzo and Larry Bell say that it is an honor to be voted #1.

We all don't like some things. I don't like NEIPAs at all, but I will save that for another rant.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 02:32:42 pm »
I don't mind the articles about adjacent hobbies nearly as much as I mind people who have chosen themselves to be representatives of the membership treating member feedback so dismissively.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:14 pm »
I don't mind the articles about adjacent hobbies nearly as much as I mind people who have chosen themselves to be representatives of the membership treating member feedback so dismissively.

If you mean me, I apologize.  That was definitely not my intention.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 04:57:32 pm »
I've made beer, mead and cider. My wife is doing fermented vegetables. We have problems with articles about those subjects being covered in Zymurgy.

I get really ticked off when they have extract brewing articles. That was hyperbole, wrapped in some sarcasm.

How about electric brewing articles? I don't brew that way, but it looks to be an attractive way to brew.

The "Best Beers in America" issue generates the most online hits and references to Zymurgy and the AHA. Gary Glass had stated that often. I have found some good recipes supplied by different breweries just for that one article. Brewery owners such as Vinnie Cilurzo and Larry Bell say that it is an honor to be voted #1.

We all don't like some things. I don't like NEIPAs at all, but I will save that for another rant.
I agree with this statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 05:32:25 pm »

The "Best Beers in America" issue generates the most online hits and references to Zymurgy and the AHA
. Gary Glass had stated that often. I have found some good recipes supplied by different breweries just for that one article. Brewery owners such as Vinnie Cilurzo and Larry Bell say that it is an honor to be voted #1.

I get it. It’s their Swimsuit issue.  You don’t like NEIPA’s, I don’t like the BBiA article.  I find it to be an embarrassing groupthink, but probably not for someone coming at it for the first time, I guess. Though I will say that it was a bit farther buried away in the magazine this year than in years past. Not even a SNPA in a bikini on the cover!

I still very much enjoy the magazine in general, however.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 05:14:54 am »
For me, the best thing about the BBiA edition is the accompanying recipes to some of those best beers. I like to see how the editors try to mimic the real deal.

The AHA might want to consider that the magazine could be some members’ only connection to the mothership.

Along with certain discounts which have been more and more austere due to the pandemic, the requirement to enter certain competitions which are rarely taking place lately, and a requirement to be a member in some clubs who may/may not even meet anymore, the magazine could one of the only reasons people join/maintain their membership. 

I dunno ...but making it sound like members should be happy to get it at all is probably not the best PR angle. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I apologize it that was how it came across.  My point was that you don't buy a mag subscriptipn.
It’s cool.  But from the AHA itself: “Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.”

It happens occasionally around here. Not often but it does happen. I think who’s representing who gets confused a bit at times. I reported it once but it was dismissed as my misunderstanding. So, I just decided to ignore it, chalking it up to human character, and voted with my dollar a cpl yrs ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:24:21 am by BrewBama »

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 04:47:47 pm »
I love the section on fermenting things other than beer. Keep bringing it! I love to explore fermentation and how I can make other foods and beverages all the while I think the Zymurgy magazine offers plenty of great content around brewing beer.
TRaftman😎