Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Better Siphon  (Read 6409 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: A Better Siphon
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 07:13:14 am »
+1 on the 1/2 inch autosiphon. That thing is great!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »
I broke my autosiphon by putting it together dry.  After that, it wouldn't pull liquid up the tube to start the siphon.  It was the smaller one, 5/16" I believe.

I replaced it with the 1/2" Autosiphon and what a difference.  Man does it transfer fast!
Make sure to throw out the old one if you get the bigger one. It turns out the smaller cane can still start the
siphon in the bigger one but if you are racking a beer it oxidizes the everliving crap out of it. Not speaking
from personal experience but from being the guy that got the call, "Hey tell me if this tastes funny."
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
Make sure to throw out the old one if you get the bigger one. It turns out the smaller cane can still start the
siphon in the bigger one but if you are racking a beer it oxidizes the everliving crap out of it. Not speaking
from personal experience but from being the guy that got the call, "Hey tell me if this tastes funny."

Oh yeah...I broke the other one into a bunch of pieces out of frustration.  Nothing like realizing your autosiphon doesn't work when you're ready to transfer your beer.  Luckily I had some spare vinyl tubing around so I could siphon "old school".
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 03:03:32 pm »
I broke my autosiphon by putting it together dry.  After that, it wouldn't pull liquid up the tube to start the siphon.  It was the smaller one, 5/16" I believe.

I replaced it with the 1/2" Autosiphon and what a difference.  Man does it transfer fast!

An image of an unmanned fire hose flailing on the ground just shot through my head.  :o  But really, I have both sizes & when I need them they're priceless!!! 
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 06:04:16 am »
Anyone use one of these?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys

Any thoughts on the product?

That would work.  I use the carboy cap on the can, but 2 PSI of CO2 is used to start the siphon and help push the beer out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:00 pm »
Anyone use one of these?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys

That's what I use, I love it.  It's super easy, and the stainless racking cane doesn't break.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:49 pm »
Quote from: tygo on August 21, 2010, 07:22:45 PM
Anyone use one of these?

That's what I use, I love it.  It's super easy, and the stainless racking cane doesn't break.
+1. If you remove the sterile inline filter and use co2 at like 1psi (of course only in stainless and in better bottles - not glass) and you attach a liquid out (which would now act as a liquid in) to the end of the siphon hose you've made a complete, co2 blanketed, closed transfer system. The day I set it up was the day I stopped worrying about potential introduction of either o2 or bacteria.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:28 am »
Quote from: tygo on August 21, 2010, 07:22:45 PM
Anyone use one of these?

+1. If you remove the sterile inline filter and use co2 at like 1psi (of course only in stainless and in better bottles - not glass) and you attach a liquid out (which would now act as a liquid in) to the end of the siphon hose you've made a complete, co2 blanketed, closed transfer system. The day I set it up was the day I stopped worrying about potential introduction of either o2 or bacteria.

You can use those on glass carboys if you stay below 2 PSI or so.  The caps are also the fail safe, as they pop off if the pressure gets too high.  Guys in our club have been doing this, and now I do too.  One should double check the regulator, just to be safe.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!