Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Field Museum: Field Brewseum  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
The Field Museum: Field Brewseum
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:00:55 am »
I stopped by the Field Museum in Chicago a few weeks ago, and had a chance to check out the Field Brewseum exhibit. I didn't have a chance to try the dinosaur themed beers at the museum cafe unfortunately.

Highlights
  • Exhibit is in a room that's ~15x20'
  • Focuses on social effects, mostly influx of German & Irish immigrants into Chicago
  • Covers anti-immigrant sentiment leading up to 1855 Lager riots
  • Covers the late 19th century, ending with the Worlds Fair
  • Information on the brewing process is pretty limited
  • Not a lot about actual breweries in Chicago, but there are some cool relics such as the participation medals for Schlitz & Pabst for Worlds Fair

It's a cool exhibit, Randy Mosher, Siebel, and a handful of others contributed but it's pretty small. It's also a bit out of the way-it's tucked back by the lions of Tsavo in the back of the African animal exhibit. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to check it out, but the new Evolution exhibit (Featuring Sue the T Rex) is pretty amazing. It's definitely worth checking out if you're already planning a trip. Another top tip-if you have a membership with your local museum, you might be able to get in for free. A ton of museums have reciprocity agreements, it's a great way to save the $24 museum entry fee.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: The Field Museum: Field Brewseum
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:23 am »
I stopped by the Field Museum in Chicago a few weeks ago, and had a chance to check out the Field Brewseum exhibit. I didn't have a chance to try the dinosaur themed beers at the museum cafe unfortunately.

Highlights
  • Exhibit is in a room that's ~15x20'
  • Focuses on social effects, mostly influx of German & Irish immigrants into Chicago
  • Covers anti-immigrant sentiment leading up to 1855 Lager riots
  • Covers the late 19th century, ending with the Worlds Fair
  • Information on the brewing process is pretty limited
  • Not a lot about actual breweries in Chicago, but there are some cool relics such as the participation medals for Schlitz & Pabst for Worlds Fair

It's a cool exhibit, Randy Mosher, Siebel, and a handful of others contributed but it's pretty small. It's also a bit out of the way-it's tucked back by the lions of Tsavo in the back of the African animal exhibit. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to check it out, but the new Evolution exhibit (Featuring Sue the T Rex) is pretty amazing. It's definitely worth checking out if you're already planning a trip. Another top tip-if you have a membership with your local museum, you might be able to get in for free. A ton of museums have reciprocity agreements, it's a great way to save the $24 museum entry fee.
I went to a similar exhibit at a museum in Manhattan a few years ago, except it sounds like it was larger and there was a 19th century period looking bar at the end.  There were lots of relics that have been uncovered during construction as well as a lot of old advertising posters and glassware.  I like that kind of thing.  Plus my wife has a NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum) card so we get into just about all museums for free.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: The Field Museum: Field Brewseum
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 03:43:54 pm »
https://ohs.org/museum/exhibits/barley-barrels-bottles-and-brews.cfm

This exhibit just opened recently at the Oregon Historical Society here in Portland.  It's relatively small and limited, but some cool artifacts, old coasters, trays, glassware etc.  There's also a small part that talks about women in brewing and the Pink Boots society so that's cool as well. Both history and future progression.

Someone was just mentioning the Field museum to me the other day.  It sounds awesome and I already want to go to Chicago, so that will have to be a must visit on the list.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year