Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alternative to Picnic Tap?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Kimberly Dolan

• 1st Kit
Alternative to Picnic Tap?
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »
Does anyone have a suggested inexpensive but more attractive alternative to a picnic tap?  I have a Cornelius Keg but no kegerator, and would like to serve with something a bit nicer than the picnic tap, which reminds me of bad keg parties in college.  I found "Attach-a-Tap" by a homebrewer from Florida on Kickstarter, which seemed like a great idea, but I can't find that product or person anywhere.   

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 03:16:40 pm »
While not cheap, I use QD Adaptors for Flow Control Faucets coupled with Perlic Flow Control Faucets attached directly to the kegs.  They work great plus I like not cleaning lines.

https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/ball-pin-lock-kegs-parts/quick-disconnects/qd-adaptor-for-flow-control-faucets

https://www.perlick.com/commercial/products/beverage-dispensing/components/dispensing-faucets/view/650ss-forward-sealing-flow-control-faucet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:25:11 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:13 pm »
I do the same as BrewBama. This thread has a picture: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25689.0

I think you can do the same with Intertap for less now.

Since creating the thread above I moved to stainless quick disconnects. They have the advantage of being stainless and of  a 90* connection to the tap. This turns the Perlick to face straight down. See below and compare to the pic in the link above which has the Perlick  spout at an angle.

Stainless QD: https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-disconnect-beverage-stainless-flare.html

Be aware this only works with flow control faucets. You will serve foam with a regular faucet. Lots of stores sell a QD faucet combo that is not flow control. Those are for parties. You have to turn down the pressure when using the non flow control set up. That is okay for one day but you don’t want to have reduced pressure in your home kegerator. You will loose carbonation over time (I think. I have never actually tried reduced pressure over a long term).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:33:53 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Robert

Re: Alternative to Picnic Tap?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:11:34 pm »

Okay, I've got a keezer and don't need this setup.  BUT I WANT THAT SHINY TAP HANDLE!  Tommy, source please!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:14:01 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:36:38 pm »

Okay, I've got a keezer and don't need this setup.  BUT I WANT THAT SHINY TAP HANDLE!  Tommy, source please!
I’ve successfully lobbied the Alabama and Mississippi legislatures to ban use of these in home taprooms other than mine. But, for you...

https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/beer-dispensing-equipment/tap-handles/chrome-tap-handle

PS. Don’t drop it on your foot.  It’s heavy.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:53:28 pm »

I’ve successfully lobbied the Alabama and Mississippi legislatures to ban use of these in home taprooms other than mine. But, for you...

https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/beer-dispensing-equipment/tap-handles/chrome-tap-handle

Cheers, it's on the way!  With that extra weight it's a good thing my last upgrade was the self-closing spring in the faucet.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:33:47 pm »

Very pretty handle on my pretty ugly keezer.  Kind of like a Rolls hood ornament on a Yugo!  (In defense of my keezer, it was a spur of the moment build, conceived, materials sourced,  and executed in one afternoon, when, like the OP, I decided I wanted something better than a picnic tap.  And at least I am secure in the knowledge that it's much, much prettier on the inside.  Not bigger, just prettier.)  Thanks, Tommy.  :)

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:40 pm »

Very pretty handle on my pretty ugly keezer.  Kind of like a Rolls hood ornament on a Yugo!  (In defense of my keezer, it was a spur of the moment build, conceived, materials sourced,  and executed in one afternoon, when, like the OP, I decided I wanted something better than a picnic tap.  And at least I am secure in the knowledge that it's much, much prettier on the inside.  Not bigger, just prettier.)  Thanks, Tommy.  :)

It’s keeping the beer cold. Nice hood ornament.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:37:38 am »

Be aware this only works with flow control faucets. You will serve foam with a regular faucet. Lots of stores sell a QD faucet combo that is not flow control. Those are for parties. You have to turn down the pressure when using the non flow control set up. That is okay for one day but you don’t want to have reduced pressure in your home kegerator. You will loose carbonation over time (I think. I have never actually tried reduced pressure over a long term).

About 1.5 epoxy mixers in the dip tub should provide the pressure drop necessary if you don't have flow control.  However, if you forget to bag your hops before putting them in a keg, you are guaranteed to get a clog  ... but you'd probably get one in the out post anyway. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:00:43 am »

About 1.5 epoxy mixers in the dip tub should provide the pressure drop necessary if you don't have flow control.  However, if you forget to bag your hops before putting them in a keg, you are guaranteed to get a clog  ... but you'd probably get one in the out post anyway.
Recently saw the same idea for a flow restrictor being specifically sold for this use.
https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/beer-dispensing-equipment/faucets-repair-parts/plastic-in-line-flow-restrictor-1-4
Also comes in 3/16".

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:04:21 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio