Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Vboy

• 1st Kit
Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:17:00 am »
I'm new so I don't know so much about the players in the hobby. I just learned that Northern Brewer is owned by Anheuser Busch and homebrewers don't like that. I was told to stay away from any of their homebrew businesses as the little guys selling are going out of business because of them. Have you heard of this?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:39:45 am »
There are threads galore on this issue in this forum.  Just search AB InBev and you will get a lot of history.

Mostly, the consensus is that AB InBev might get greater market control and use that control in ways that adversely affect homebrewing, whether by running the little LHBS retailers out of the market or altering supply availability and pricing, or a host of other nefarious things, including distribution of so-called craft beer that isn’t made on a small scale and suffers from the original quality pre-InBev from a particular brewery that InBev purchases.

Cheers and welcome to the Forum!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:43:24 am »
I refuse to buy anything from Northern Brewer because they cherry pick the reviews they allow on their website - I know that from personal experience.  However, I did hear many years ago that Anheuser-Busch was loosing market share to the craft brew industry, which is why they bought Goose Island Brewing.  So, I would not be surprised if they did buy NB.  NB and MoreBeer are very closely related, so if they bought NB, they most likely got two birds with one proverbial stone, if you will.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 05:36:03 am »
Morebeer is AFAIK unrelated.  Midwest Supply had been bought by NB before ABInBev bought them both together. ABI has done some PR to suggest they really support the homebrew and craft sectors and just want to get on the bandwagon.   A search of the forum as mentioned will probably turn up a link.  Everyone has to decide for themselves what ABI involvement means to them.  I avoid NB just because I get better service elsewhere.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:49 am »
Robert, you are correct.  My mistake.  It is Midwest Supply, not MoreBeer.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:38:11 am »
ABInbev is driven by a corporate business model. That business model produces a LOT of good for a LOT of people thru sponsorship, charity, employment, etc. However, their business model also eliminates competition to gain market share. Bitter sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:21:05 am »
I normally try to stay away from NB as well.  However, I recently had to replace the pump on my wort chiller and bought a Riptide pump.  I shopped around to try to get the best deal on the pump and NB had the pump with the flow control stainless steel head as a complete unit for less money that I could buy the pump and pump head separately from other sources.  So I bit my tongue and ordered it from them because it saved me almost $100.

That said I too get really good service from other sources (like More Beer and Brewers Hardware Supply) on various brewery items and will continue to use them whenever possible.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 07:48:25 am »
I normally try to stay away from NB as well.  However, I recently had to replace the pump on my wort chiller and bought a Riptide pump.  I shopped around to try to get the best deal on the pump and NB had the pump with the flow control stainless steel head as a complete unit for less money that I could buy the pump and pump head separately from other sources.  So I bit my tongue and ordered it from them because it saved me almost $100.

That said I too get really good service from other sources (like More Beer and Brewers Hardware Supply) on various brewery items and will continue to use them whenever possible.

Did you check Brewhardware for that Riptide?  That's where I got mine.

I don't see my sign that ABI is trying to control the homebrew market.  It seems to be more to be aware of trends that they can use to their advantage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:38:47 am »
I refuse to buy anything from Northern Brewer because they cherry pick the reviews...

This is indeed true, or at least it was. One of their customer service reps told this to me point blank. But that was 5-6 years ago (before they were bought, I believe), it might be different now.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 08:41:39 am »
I think the fact that you just recently learned about this strongly disputes the contention that ABI is trying to control the homebrew market. If ABI had that purpose it would be more aggressive and you definitely would have heard about it sooner.

For ABI it seems a lot more like the goal is integration across all aspects of the beer and brewing world. It gives them more data, more sales opportunities and the ability to leverage scale.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:54:46 pm »
I think the fact that you just recently learned about this strongly disputes the contention that ABI is trying to control the homebrew market. If ABI had that purpose it would be more aggressive and you definitely would have heard about it sooner.

For ABI it seems a lot more like the goal is integration across all aspects of the beer and brewing world. It gives them more data, more sales opportunities and the ability to leverage scale.

I would partially agree and note that I said it was a fear of homebrewers that AB Inbev would get control, not that it had achieved that at this point, but AB InBev seeks more control in every market that it enters, does it not?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »

I would partially agree and note that I said it was a fear of homebrewers that AB Inbev would get control, not that it had achieved that at this point, but AB InBev seeks more control in every market that it enters, does it not?

In this case, I really think the idea is what reverseapachemaster said.  There's just not enough money in the homebrewing market for it to be worth it to them.  The idea is to harvest info that can be used in other pursuits.  IMO.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 01:04:59 pm »

In this case, I really think the idea is what reverseapachemaster said.  There's just not enough money in the homebrewing market for it to be worth it to them.  The idea is to harvest info that can be used in other pursuits.  IMO.

You both are probably right, as it may help forecast trends for emerging craft styles or specialty ingredients or any number of trackable data...though one would think that there are more efficient ways of mining that data (a la Amazon’s recent location search - municipalities laid bare inumerable treasure troves of data which Amazon gladly accepted.)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 01:16:22 pm »
You both are probably right, as it may help forecast trends for emerging craft styles or specialty ingredients or any number of trackable data...though one would think that there are more efficient ways of mining that data (a la Amazon’s recent location search - municipalities laid bare inumerable treasure troves of data which Amazon gladly accepted.)

ABI has enough money to experiment.  I doubt "most efficient" is a criteria.  They're more interested in keeping an eye on trends.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 02:10:44 pm »

If they were looking to really take over the homebrew supply market and make it impossible for anyone else to compete, I would think they would be sure to have the lowest prices on every item, everyday.  Throw in cheap or free shipping and choke off the competition.  After all, they are big enough to float the loses until they are the last shop standing.  Once the rest were gone they could jack up prices or just shut the doors and leave everyone out it in the cold.

When I've been shopping for larger items, I haven't seen them going that route.  Sometimes they have a deal, sometimes they don't.  Time will tell, but for now they seem to want to be in the game so they know what's being played.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?