Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?  (Read 8332 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 10:27:01 pm »
The entire site is advertising for ABI. Even content about craft beer or other breweries is part of the advertising platform because it's wrapping that makes the ABI content seem authentic and organic.

I'm shocked! Shocked to find that ABI would do something so underhanded!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 08:44:47 am »
ABInbev is driven by a corporate business model. That business model produces a LOT of good for a LOT of people thru sponsorship, charity, employment, etc. However, their business model also eliminates competition to gain market share. Bitter sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The employees from Beck’s would strongly disagree with you as they all lost their jobs as it’s no longer been brewed in Germany, but in St Louis. But I’ve also read that they typically streamline the businesses they buy eventually, so not all employees benefit.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 08:51:48 am »
You both are probably right, as it may help forecast trends for emerging craft styles or specialty ingredients or any number of trackable data...though one would think that there are more efficient ways of mining that data (a la Amazon’s recent location search - municipalities laid bare inumerable treasure troves of data which Amazon gladly accepted.)

ABI has enough money to experiment.  I doubt "most efficient" is a criteria.  They're more interested in keeping an eye on trends.

I’m not so sure. They’ve acrued a lot of debt buying breweries and were downgraded not that long ago, but did pay down some of that to increase their rating. Not to mention their shares have really plummeted with just a small rise recently.

Actually “efficient” is one of their criteria. It’s a part of their business model as many businesses also have.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 09:01:48 am »
I normally try to stay away from NB as well.  However, I recently had to replace the pump on my wort chiller and bought a Riptide pump.  I shopped around to try to get the best deal on the pump and NB had the pump with the flow control stainless steel head as a complete unit for less money that I could buy the pump and pump head separately from other sources.  So I bit my tongue and ordered it from them because it saved me almost $100.

That said I too get really good service from other sources (like More Beer and Brewers Hardware Supply) on various brewery items and will continue to use them whenever possible.

Did you check Brewhardware for that Riptide?  That's where I got mine.

I don't see my sign that ABI is trying to control the homebrew market.  It seems to be more to be aware of trends that they can use to their advantage.

By the time a trend is seen in the homebrew sector isn’t it just about old data by then? It’s whats coming out of the breweries that sparks these trends, no? And outside of buying specific kits, which many advanced breweries don’t do, it would be hard to track what the intent of the bulk grains, hops, and yeasts were for.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:48 am »
ABInbev is driven by a corporate business model. That business model produces a LOT of good for a LOT of people thru sponsorship, charity, employment, etc. However, their business model also eliminates competition to gain market share. Bitter sweet.

The employees from Beck’s would strongly disagree with you as they all lost their jobs as it’s no longer been brewed in Germany, but in St Louis. But I’ve also read that they typically streamline the businesses they buy eventually, so not all employees benefit.

The Beck's for the US market is brewed in St. Louis. For Germany it is still brewed in Bremen. If you have info that says that is not true, please post.

Highlighted section in this.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestreet.com/amp/story/13225511/1/10-beers-that-arent-made-where-you-think-they-are-are-you-drinking-a-lie.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 09:28:16 am »

The Beck's for the US market is brewed in St. Louis. For Germany it is still brewed in Bremen. If you have info that says that is not true, please post.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestreet.com/amp/story/13225511/1/10-beers-that-arent-made-where-you-think-they-are-are-you-drinking-a-lie.html

Interesting. I’m not sure which of the brew forums I got that from years ago, and I don’t recall if it was backed by information (which apparently it couldn’t have been). Thanks for informing me so as I don’t spout untruth.

narvin

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 09:33:52 am »
About what I expected from a large corporation, but what bothers me even more is the url.  What the heck is Octcober?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 10:01:45 am »

IIRC Beck's was founded strictly as an exporting company and for most of its existence the brand was not even sold in Germany.   In that context moving production to the geographic market makes perfect sense.   Like building Toyotas here.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 10:08:03 am »

Not to mention the safety net employees in Germany enjoy...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:12:58 am by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:40 am »

IIRC Beck's was founded strictly as an exporting company and for most of its existence the brand was not even sold in Germany.   In that context moving production to the geographic market makes perfect sense.   Like building Toyotas here.

That is not true for Beck's, one of the top 5 selling brands in Germany.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_brewing_companies_in_Germany#Best-selling_brands

St. Pauli Girl is what you thinking about. My German friend from Hamburg liked that, and it was only for the US. The Reaperbahn red light district is in the St. Pauli district of Hamburg. A St. Pauli girl is local slang for prostitute.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 12:16:48 pm »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_brewing_companies_in_Germany#Best-selling_brands

St. Pauli Girl is what you thinking about. My German friend from Hamburg liked that, and it was only for the US. The Reaperbahn red light district is in the St. Pauli district of Hamburg. A St. Pauli girl is local slang for prostitute.
I remember Michael Jackson and other sources reported that Beck's was an export brand only until sometime  after the 80s, I don't recall the exact timing.  Its sister company, Haacke-Beck, was always a domestic producer, which had started Beck's as an international venture.  I know Beck's sells very well in Germany now.  St Pauli Girl's producer, Bavaria St Pauli, always produced domestic products as well.  All three had adjoining brewery complexes and corporate linkages, at least before AB InBev's acqusition.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 01:26:17 pm »

I remember Michael Jackson and other sources reported that Beck's was an export brand only until sometime  after the 80s, I don't recall the exact timing.  Its sister company, Haacke-Beck, was always a domestic producer, which had started Beck's as an international venture.  I know Beck's sells very well in Germany now.  St Pauli Girl's producer, Bavaria St Pauli, always produced domestic products as well.  All three had adjoining brewery complexes and corporate linkages, at least before AB InBev's acqusition.

Learn something everyday!

Beck's merged with Haake-Beck, and Beck's concentrated on export.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/economics-business-and-labor/businesses-and-occupations/brauerei-beck-co
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 01:36:51 pm »

Learn something everyday!

Beck's merged with Haake-Beck, and Beck's concentrated on export.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/economics-business-and-labor/businesses-and-occupations/brauerei-beck-co
Thanks, Jeff!  My spotty memory of this history is now filled in.

Apparently Bavaria St Pauli, born of a merger in 1922, though sharing a brewery complex was a separate entity.   Wikipedia says its brands are now brewed by Holsten.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:46:13 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline taku74

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 08:23:12 am »
I would think that the data available by owning a large online homebrew retailer and sites like Ratebeer have to factor in. If you have to login to post or give ratings, they can track an individual as well as overall trends. They can follow both consumer in terms of what they are brewing/drinking and market trends especially if the homebrew community is closely tied to the craft market.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 09:56:20 am »
I spoke to my wife about this and she laughed. Her point is we order from Amazon, drink Coke, buy Ford vehicles, and on and on. Why draw the line at home brew. As is often the case: she has a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk