Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Fermentation  (Read 3072 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Stuck Fermentation
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:10 pm »
Do not dry hop with saaz! I did once and it gave the beer a weird perfumey taste. Turned an ok beer into a dumper.

That is actually a valid comment.  I have experienced similar.  I think it really depends a lot on terrior, i.e., Saaz grown in the Czech Republic won't be perceived anywhere near the same as US-grown Saaz, etc.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:41 am »
I've said it 50 times before and I'll say it again.

"WLP820 is a sh** yeast that should not be sold."

It's the worst lager yeast on the market today, very laggy with very poor attenuation.  Use ANY other lager yeast on the planet and you'll get better results.  I like 2206 or WLP833.  Or S-189; see below.

My advice would be to dry hop it (Saaz, Hallertau, or other noble), keep it warm at "diacetyl rest" temperature for a looooong time, and hope for some "freshening power" a.k.a. "hop creep" to introduce some enzymatic activity.  It worked for my maibock which got stuck with S-189 but turned out excellent and won me a silver.

Do not dry hop with saaz! I did once and it gave the beer a weird perfumey taste. Turned an ok beer into a dumper.

Totally agree.  My experience is that SAAZ is a lousy dry hop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:17 am »
   I recently ruined the third batch of beer with Czech Saaz, twice dry hopped and most recently with a WP addition, all 3 ended up tasting like grass clipping tea. The first 2 times I attributed it to possible old stale hops, the most recent time was an ESB with new hops. I'll never have Czech Saaz hops in my house again.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 04:05:27 pm »
Im just wondering here, Germans don't really dry hop their beers, do they? I mean, between the lacto-fermented foods and the use of spices and herbs in their sausages, maybe they figured dry hopping didn't pair well with their traditional foods. Now I'm making a huge assumption with that comment but those Germans are pretty sly. IDK

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 04:36:08 pm »
Im just wondering here, Germans don't really dry hop their beers, do they? I mean, between the lacto-fermented foods and the use of spices and herbs in their sausages, maybe they figured dry hopping didn't pair well with their traditional foods. Now I'm making a huge assumption with that comment but those Germans are pretty sly. IDK
True, dry hopping is not just not done, but really considered outré by German brewers.   But there have been exceptions.  Prince Luitpold, at his Castle Kaltenberg brewery, dry hops König Ludwig Dunkel.  And adds lacto.  And naturally draws the scorn and derision of other brewers.  Then again when they told him only breweries actually in Munich can pour at Oktoberfest,  he "retaliated" by organizing a massive Summertime jousting tournament and Renaissance fair, yeah, that'll show 'em.  So he may just be a little wack.

FWIW I've dry hopped with Sterling.  Once.  Only.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »
True, dry hopping is not just not done, but really considered outré by German brewers.   But there have been exceptions.  Prince Luitpold, at his Castle Kaltenberg brewery, dry hops König Ludwig Dunkel.  And adds lacto.  And naturally draws the scorn and derision of other brewers.  Then again when they told him only breweries actually in Munich can pour at Oktoberfest,  he "retaliated" by organizing a massive Summertime jousting tournament and Renaissance fair, yeah, that'll show 'em.  So he may just be a little wack.

FWIW I've dry hopped with Sterling.  Once.  Only.

So Robert, intrigued by your comment on Prince Luitpold, I googled him thinking he was some archaic royalty from the 14th century only to be amused that he is only a few years older then me.
With that being said, How do you know this bit of obscure knowledge?

Thanks for a good chuckle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 06:32:51 pm »
He's been written about in a number of sources on beer and brewing.  He's really a significant figure in Bavarian brewing as you may have found out.  Sort of a Fritz Maytag figure who revived and grew the family castle brewery.  And his family, the Wittelsbachs, ruled Bavaria for centuries,  so his ancestors were responsible for things like the Reinheitsgebot, the prohibition of Summer brewing, starting Oktoberfest and founding the Weihenstephan brewing school.  And his family also has a history of mental instability,  FWIW.   Like his predecessor in the 19th century,  Mad King Ludwig II, (Google him) who bankrupted the country building fairytale castles and drowned in a reflecting pool four inches deep.  Might have had a little help there. 

My family's Bavarian, Franconian more precisely, so added interest.  Here are some mementos of my Grandfather's service (1910-12, but he was recalled for WWI) in the Bavarian army under Prince-regent Luitpold, the next to last ruling monarch (bearded guy on the steins.)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:47:51 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.