Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Krausening vs. Priming with reserved wort  (Read 1306 times)

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Krausening vs. Priming with reserved wort
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:56:06 am »
The article in the Nov-Dec issue of Zymurgy prompted me to think about giving Krausening a try for my next ale. It seems like another worthwhile tweak to help scrub oxygen during fermentation, especially after dry hops are added.  I usually have some leftover wort from my brew process which I freeze and use for the main starter for the next brew day. I could re-purpose that for a krausen addition.

Right now, I do a closed transfer from my fermenter to my serving keg when fermentation is 80% complete, inject some sanitized dextrose solution, and carbonate naturally under pressure. It would be nice to avoid the dextrose. With one of the methods described, I would be adding additional fermenting wort, same as the main batch, to the fermenting beer in order to carbonate and scrub oxygen and other undesirables. My question is if anyone has tried just adding sanitized, un-fermented wort, in the latter phases fermentation to carbonate?  I understand this may take a little longer than pitching a small batch of wort at high krausen. The reason for this is to avoid storing a small quantity of yeast for the krausen addition, the related risk of infection, and just the hassle of essentially making a second starter.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Krausening vs. Priming with reserved wort
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:10:56 am »
There are still yeast in suspension, which will consume the wort. This is called adding Speise, which is food in English.

The only downside I can think of is you may end up with Diacetyl if the yeast are weak. The yeast are active when you add Krausen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:51:18 am »
My experience is that priming with gyle leads to uncertain carbonation
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:30 pm »
That helps - thank you.  This forum is a wonderful source of experience and help!