Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brut Bitter? Brut Belgian?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Brut Bitter? Brut Belgian?
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:55:40 am »
I was wondering if anyone had used "Brut IPA" techniques to make brut versions of other styles. I had the idea first thinking of a pilsner, but realized that a watery less-hoppy pilsner would probably taste like Miller Lite. I considered, though, that a few styles could be interesting.

Brut Bitter - 50/50 Maris Otter/Golden Promise, 1.032ish, maybe 15 IBUs from EKG, dry hopped with EKG, English yeast, enzymes added to fermenter. End up with a more flavorful "light beer."

Brut Belgian Blond - 95% Dingemans Pils, 5% Aromatic malt, 1.050ish, 10 IBUs from something noble, Belgian yeast. Perhaps a cross between a Single, Blond, and BGS?

I guess there are more ideas out there - crystalweizen? But has anyone tried this? Does anyone want to?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brut Bitter? Brut Belgian?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:52:57 am »
I'd say a Belgian blond is already brut by definition.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:25:11 pm »
Might be worth giving several different "brut" versions of other beers a go, submitting an article query to Dave, and writing it up for publication.
That's what led to my Imperial Pilsner online extra last year in Mar/Apr.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:26:51 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:12:29 am »
Brut Bitter - 50/50 Maris Otter/Golden Promise, 1.032ish, maybe 15 IBUs from EKG, dry hopped with EKG, English yeast, enzymes added to fermenter. End up with a more flavorful "light beer."

I think that would be really interesting and worth trying.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:28 pm »
In the 1970s, Boddington's got down to 1.003, and even more recently it was 1.006....

There's more to bitter than the sweetish Thames Valley style...

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:20:42 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had used "Brut IPA" techniques to make brut versions of other styles. I had the idea first thinking of a pilsner, but realized that a watery less-hoppy pilsner would probably taste like Miller Lite. I considered, though, that a few styles could be interesting.

Brut Belgian Blond - 95% Dingemans Pils, 5% Aromatic malt, 1.050ish, 10 IBUs from something noble, Belgian yeast. Perhaps a cross between a Single, Blond, and BGS?

I guess there are more ideas out there - crystalweizen? But has anyone tried this? Does anyone want to?

Brut Belgian - It's called DeUs and it's been around for awhile. Don't use enzymes, brew it in the traditional champagne methode. http://bestbelgianspecialbeers.be/en/deus/the-story
Formerly the Queen of Beer. Currently the Old Bag.