Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling for 2019 AHA competition  (Read 2670 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
bottling for 2019 AHA competition
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:59:46 am »
I have a dopplebock that was brewed last June that has really hit it's stride and plan to enter in the upcoming AHA competition.  I feel that if I don't bottle some soon and set aside for the competition that I will polish off the keg.  I've bottled from a keg a few times and use a rudimentary system with tubing and a stopper.  I purge bottles with CO2 to try and minimize oxidation.  My concern is that if I bottle now it will be 2 months before judging and worry about the effects of oxygen and flat beer.
I'm planning to brew another batch of this recipe in early Feb. and am considering using this batch for competition but feel it may not be as good as it will not have conditioned as long and there's always the potential that it doesn't come out as good.
Requesting thoughts and advice......
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: bottling for 2019 AHA competition
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:05:58 am »
Disconnect the keg and set aside.  Or bottle it using your methods above.  If done correctly, you should be able to keep it for years.

I doubt brewing one in early February would be ready for first round, which is due a little more than a month later.  If you get through, that may be a good one for second round though.

Bottle a few extra in case of broken bottles, advancing to second round or taste testing batch 1 vs batch 2 if you make it through.

Good luck
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:15 am »
Disconnect the keg and set aside.  Or bottle it using your methods above.  If done correctly, you should be able to keep it for years.

I doubt brewing one in early February would be ready for first round, which is due a little more than a month later.  If you get through, that may be a good one for second round though.

Bottle a few extra in case of broken bottles, advancing to second round or taste testing batch 1 vs batch 2 if you make it through.

Good luck

I agree on all points.  Disconnecting the keg makes the most sense, but I'm really enjoying that beer right now! 

Fermenting, Saison

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:31 am »

Good luck

I agree on all points.  Disconnecting the keg makes the most sense, but I'm really enjoying that beer right now! 

But do you enjoy getting medals ;)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:31:01 am »
Whatever you decide, when it is time to ship your bottles, ensure you package extra and set aside.  On the judging date open your reserve so you’re experiencing what the judges are experiencing. If it’s flat or oxidized for the judging you’ll know it because you’re having the same beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:43:36 pm »
Whatever you decide, when it is time to ship your bottles, ensure you package extra and set aside.  On the judging date open your reserve so you’re experiencing what the judges are experiencing. If it’s flat or oxidized for the judging you’ll know it because you’re having the same beer.

Good idea, thanks.

Fermenting, Saison

Offline North63

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 04:26:00 pm »

Hey BrewBama,
Why is there such a long time between the final date a beer can be received and when the beer is actually judged.
For example.. the entry I'm sending to Milwaukee has to be received by Mar 14th, but it won't be judged for 3 weeks (April 5-6).   

What recommendations / strategy would you recommend for a brew schedule in order for the beer at optiumum condition?   

I am considering brewing 10 days prior to ship date, bottle on ship date,  to allow for the long delay.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:34:44 pm by North63 »

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 05:35:40 am »
With NHC, I always start with the due date of the entries and work backwards based on style.  For lagers, I allow a week for shipping, 6 weeks or so for lagering and carbonation (I force carb), 3 or so weeks for fermentation, which gives me an estimate for my brew day.  For my NEIPA, the time is considerably less.  A week for shipping, 1 week to carbonate and 2 weeks fermentation.

I am lucky this year to be able to deliver my entries to my region (Boston)...usually I have to ship them.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:15 am »

Hey BrewBama,
Why is there such a long time between the final date a beer can be received and when the beer is actually judged.
For example.. the entry I'm sending to Milwaukee has to be received by Mar 14th, but it won't be judged for 3 weeks (April 5-6).   

What recommendations / strategy would you recommend for a brew schedule in order for the beer at optiumum condition?   

I am considering brewing 10 days prior to ship date, bottle on ship date,  to allow for the long delay.

Thanks

That’s a good question best left to the committee.  nhc@brewersassociation.org

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 06:34:21 am »

Hey BrewBama,

Thanks

All regions have the same drop off window. A couple of regions are on March 22. That gives one weekend for the regions organizers to unpack, register, put on the competition code stickers, and sort by category. That is a big job for 750 entries.

Why are there 4 weekend of judging? It spreads the workload out for the competition director who is on call, and travels to one or two sites. It gives time to validate the results sequentially. Judges are able to go to several sites if they wish.

Sure I'm not listing everything.

NHC is a big job for those that make it happen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 03:56:09 pm »
It would be nice to change it and stagger the entries for those (like me - KC) who will get their beers judged a month after they are required to be received. Most comps require them 2 weeks prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 10:17:41 pm »
Point of clarification-for those like me that were a bit confused. The deadline is when they receive the beers, as confirmed by John Moorhead (very helpful guy) & Sandy Cockerham (Very responsive). Also, as someone who has organized a small competition, it is an incredible amount of work and the people who support it are incredible.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 11:59:31 pm »
Point of clarification-for those like me that were a bit confused. The deadline is when they receive the beers, as confirmed by John Moorhead (very helpful guy) & Sandy Cockerham (Very responsive). Also, as someone who has organized a small competition, it is an incredible amount of work and the people who support it are incredible.

John and Sandy are two of the main people who make NHC work.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!