Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DO content in raw ale wort?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
DO content in raw ale wort?
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:54:40 am »
Anyone have any info on how much DO is found in raw ale wort (in general). Obviously a lot depends on process, but I'm just curious if there's a general idea.
The reason I ask is my lag time took slightly longer than expected. I brought it up to just under boiling but that was it, so I can't imagine much oxygen escaped.
Anyway, any help is appreciated.
Cheers

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

The Beerery

Re: DO content in raw ale wort?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:47 am »
Near zero. O2 content of boiling wort is 0, so.

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:56:19 pm »
But you have to boil for an hour to get it to zero from what I understand, so shouldn't it be higher? If I remember correctly DO in the mash is somewhere around 8ppm or higher. Without a boil, shouldn't it remain around that? My lag time was just under 5 hours, but I expected faster from a kveik strain. Aside from that it's been behaving strange. It's now day 5 and it's more vigorous than days 1-3. Not that this necessarily had to do with aeration, I'm just thinking maybe it didn't help.

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 02:37:38 pm »
But you have to boil for an hour to get it to zero from what I understand, so shouldn't it be higher? If I remember correctly DO in the mash is somewhere around 8ppm or higher. Without a boil, shouldn't it remain around that? My lag time was just under 5 hours, but I expected faster from a kveik strain. Aside from that it's been behaving strange. It's now day 5 and it's more vigorous than days 1-3. Not that this necessarily had to do with aeration, I'm just thinking maybe it didn't help.

No, it doesn't work like that. It's temperature based, and happens quite quickly.

Its all dependent on temp, the lower the temp the more it can hold.. At mash temp you are looking at 3-4 ppm,
212 is 0, which basically happens the second (well say with in 30 seconds) it reaches that temp.
x temp = x saturation

From basically 8-0 (212-32F)

Edit: Here is a graph from my HLT going from room temp to boil from this morning. Because why not would I log every input, output, etc for 30 days.  8)

Blue DO, Orange temp. 

Blue starts at 5.7ppm DO @ 66F
You can see the inverse of temp to DO, and how it matches and instantly falls as temp raises.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:08:43 pm by The Beerery »

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:17:11 pm »

No, it doesn't work like that. It's temperature based, and happens quite quickly.

Its all dependent on temp, the lower the temp the more it can hold.. At mash temp you are looking at 3-4 ppm,
212 is 0, which basically happens the second (well say with in 30 seconds) it reaches that temp.
x temp = x saturation

From basically 8-0 (212-32F)

Edit: Here is a graph from my HLT going from room temp to boil from this morning. Because why not would I log every input, output, etc for 30 days.  8)

Blue DO, Orange temp. 

Blue starts at 5.7ppm DO @ 66F
You can see the inverse of temp to DO, and how it matches and instantly falls as temp raises.

This is super helpful, thank you!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:50:42 pm »
This is super helpful, thank you!

I agree. Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:53:05 pm »
My approach is to preboil strike water for a few minutes before chilling to strike temp.  Have you followed it back down during the chill to strike?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"