General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

German Ale Yeast 1007

(1/5) > >>

guvna:
I made what I hope will turn out to be a Dusseldorf Alt about a week ago. With a slightly higher OG at 1.065, it fermented at 58F for a week down to 1.012. Tasting the sample, it's pretty sulfury. I heard this may be typical for lager styles, and cooler temperatures in general. I've since increased the temperature to 63F to get it to finish out.

I don't secondary, so was just wondering how long I should let it sit in primary (assuming it's done fermenting and crashed to 32F) before bottling? If I bottle too soon, would there be a greater likelihood for a sulfury beer?

I think the only real way of knowing for sure would be to test every few days, but is there a typical period of lagering for these types of beers? I'd prefer to get this carboy out of my chest freezer asap so that I can get something new in there!

blatz:

--- Quote from: guvna on November 16, 2009, 07:45:15 AM ---I made what I hope will turn out to be a Dusseldorf Alt about a week ago. With a slightly higher OG at 1.065, it fermented at 58F for a week down to 1.012. Tasting the sample, it's pretty sulfury. I heard this may be typical for lager styles, and cooler temperatures in general. I've since increased the temperature to 63F to get it to finish out.

I don't secondary, so was just wondering how long I should let it sit in primary (assuming it's done fermenting and crashed to 32F) before bottling? If I bottle too soon, would there be a greater likelihood for a sulfury beer?

I think the only real way of knowing for sure would be to test every few days, but is there a typical period of lagering for these types of beers? I'd prefer to get this carboy out of my chest freezer asap so that I can get something new in there!

--- End quote ---

sulfur is not uncommon.

I would let it sit another week to clean up before moving it to condition.  This is a style that does benefit from a secondary/lager for a month or so before bottling.

what size starter did you make?  sounds like your yeast got a little stressed.

guvna:

--- Quote from: blatz on November 16, 2009, 08:36:09 AM ---sulfur is not uncommon.

I would let it sit another week to clean up before moving it to condition.  This is a style that does benefit from a secondary/lager for a month or so before bottling.

what size starter did you make?  sounds like your yeast got a little stressed.

--- End quote ---

Starter was pretty big. Pitched one packet into 1L starter on stir-plate, then stepped up to 2.5L starter on a stir-plate. Did some good oxygenation, as well. Fermentation started in about 2.5 hours. I even roused the fermenter a bit every day based on some discussions we've had on this forum recently. I think some age may help. Maybe this yeast is prone to sulfur?

Will definitely let it sit for at least two more weeks. Probably won't lager it as, unfortunately, I don't have the space to do that and keep brewing. I'll chalk this up as a learning experience, if anything, and point to the part of the bjcp style guideline that says "Some yeast strains may impart a slight sulfury character."

Thanks.

blatz:

--- Quote from: guvna on November 16, 2009, 08:53:36 AM ---Maybe this yeast is prone to sulfur?

--- End quote ---

it definitely is - some conditioning will help mete that out.  but if its there when you bottle it, it likely will stay, so the longer you can bulk condition, the better.

denny:
Using Wy1007, I can't recall ever getting sulfur in my alts.  What yeast did you use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version