Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-pitching yeast  (Read 1183 times)

Offline gws

• 1st Kit
  • Greensboro, NC
Re-pitching yeast
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:33:04 am »
Hey guys, I wanna re-pitch some Wy2124 that I just finished making a Pils with. After I racked the beer off I dumped the yeast cake/trub into a sanitized 1gal jar. Other pictures I've seen show the yeast and the dead cells/trub separating out, but mine even after 24 hours in the keezer still looks homogeneous. What should I pitch?

Picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VuRgalKOmwT_wLPR290QGCWAruojKVbR
“Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.”
- Kurt Vonnegut

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Re-pitching yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:34:33 am »
Pour off the beer on top, then pitch 1/3-1/2 of wjhqat's left into your beer.  No need to worry about which layer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:39:17 am »
Pour off the beer on top, then pitch 1/3-1/2 of wjhqat's left into your beer.  No need to worry about which layer.
+1.  Swirl up and pitch the slurry including trub.  A little trub wont hurt.  Trub won't grow, just the yeast.  I've taken 2124 out through many generations doing this.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:41:23 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:39:27 am »
The only way I re-pitch is when I have a batch that just dropped clear and a new one just off the boil. I transfer off the yeast cake and dump the freshly chilled wort from my boil pot right into the fermenter. The fewer number of transfers, the lower possibility of infection.  I will only do this once, I don't like more than 2 batches of trub accumulating in my fermenter.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:48:27 am »
^^^^
This will result in an extreme overpitch, and more than the "little bit" of trub that is not worrisome.  It will make beer, but not your best.

Harvesting yeast to a sanitized jar and pouring off most of the supernatant beer before repitching offers no more opportunity for contamination than making a starter, and depending on methods possibly less.

Repitching can be rewarding as yeast takes time to adapt from lab to actual brewery conditions,  and IME (as conventional wisdom holds) starts to hit its stride and perform really well between the third and fifth generations.  Even in a homebrew setting and brewing every few weeks, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to take yeast out 10-15 generations,  and WY2124 will happily go further.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.