Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distributors vs. Craft Beer/Consumers...it's about to go down...  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Distributors vs. Craft Beer/Consumers...it's about to go down...
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:02:21 pm »
If you haven't been paying attention to the fight that's been happening here in MD, you need to wake up and pay attention.

A politician (allegedly backed by distributors) in a nearby county is filing to strip our state Comptroller of his authority over road use fuels, tobacco, and alcohol.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0219/comptroller-franchot-responds-to-senate-bill-703-introduction.html

Franchot has done much to try and improve things for the craft beverage industry. It was expected that the distributors would try and make a move this session, but this isn't what I expected. From what I can tell, it's pretty much a move directly in response to Franchot's attempts to reform craft beer laws in our state.

Hopefully this doesn't count as political...it is, but it's craft beer related. I'm honestly surprised that the BA hasn't been more involved in all this, thankfully the Brewer's Association of MD has also stepped up to get word out. throughout this whole mess.

Oh yeah, and all this comes at the start of MD's official craft beer month...what a way to support the brewing industry here...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Distributors vs. Craft Beer/Consumers...it's about to go down...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:12:22 pm »
Maybe they don’t know. Not sure how that could happen but maybe send them the information. Pete Johnson serves as the State & Regulatory Affairs Manager for the Brewers Association.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:23:45 pm »
Pretty incredible what some are able to get away with. A company I worked at before had a conflict of interest with a guy in charge of picking vendors. His brother, coincidentally, had a machine shop that got a lot of our business... There's no room anywhere for this kind of stuff.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:33:08 pm »
I wonder what 'contraband beer' tastes like.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:58:46 am »
The weird thing about it, although it's not too uncommon these days, that they want to strip a certain power from someone, but then who's going to do it? Who is going to control the tax money other than the comptroller? My mom was a CPA which is the only way I even know what a comptroller is but that just seems silly.  There's no plan or thought for what comes after "You can't do that"....

The conflict of interest thing doesn't shock me.  People in power always vote for their own interests no matter how neutral they try to be.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:00:10 am »
I wonder what 'contraband beer' tastes like.

Probably Busch Light.. you aren't gonna spend too much money on stuff you're gonna smuggle across the border and likely get taken away from you.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:59:36 am »
I'm honestly surprised that the BA hasn't been more involved in all this, thankfully the Brewer's Association of MD has also stepped up to get word out. throughout this whole mess.
To clarify, on state issues facing local craft brewers, the Brewers Association supports positions taken by the state's brewers guild takes. 

The Brewers Association has very strong relations with the Brewers Association of Maryland and we have sent out action alerts to our members at the guild's behest in the past.  If the guild request support in this case, we'll be there to help.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 11:24:16 am »
I'm honestly surprised that the BA hasn't been more involved in all this, thankfully the Brewer's Association of MD has also stepped up to get word out. throughout this whole mess.
To clarify, on state issues facing local craft brewers, the Brewers Association supports positions taken by the state's brewers guild takes. 

The Brewers Association has very strong relations with the Brewers Association of Maryland and we have sent out action alerts to our members at the guild's behest in the past.  If the guild request support in this case, we'll be there to help.

Thanks for clarifying that. Likely a better system, but without knowing that it just seemed strange only seeing info from one source.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.