Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unable to buy Wyeast  (Read 3795 times)

Offline NCE98

• 1st Kit
Unable to buy Wyeast
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:11:41 pm »
Hi, i'm trying to get into the wonderful world of homebrewing. I've been looking for all the ingredients necesarry for my first batch, i will be a "Big Basin Amber Ale". Thing is, the recipe requires Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale, and since i'm in México, there's no way I can get said strain. Can anyone help me choose an alternative yeast? And since this is going to happen often, is there some advice for swapping yeast strains in a recipe.

P.D: I've found some Fermentis and LALLEMAND mostly; as well as a new, mexican, liquid yeast company.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Unable to buy Wyeast
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 06:09:52 am »
Here's a comparison chart that I refer to often.  According to this there is not another company that produces a version of this strain, but I use this strain myself and it's very clean, so I'd recommend another clean American Ale yeast such as Wyeast 1056, which is also Safeale US-05 or Lallmand BRY-97 (dry yeasts).

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf

Cheers!
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 06:21:18 am »
WLP041 is believed to be identical to 1332.  If you can't find that one, WLP007 will get you very close.  If you must use a dried yeast, S-04 will suffice, but it won't be quite the same, it won't attenuate as much and you'll want to substitute simple sugar such as cane sugar for 10-15% of the base malt to get the attenuation down.

I suppose it's high time I shared this secret list with the AHA forum.  This is based on about 100 hours of research by me, but with primary credit to many others, including results of recent genomic studies conducted over the past 3 years.  This is a snapshot copy, I'm still working to figure out how to maintain a link to an active "living" copy that I can update every couple months.  Enjoy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zr6kxqkEP29pD-t7vGLX7IwX643AFuk3/view?usp=sharing

EDIT:  From work, I could not get the above link to work.  But this one works, so maybe this will work better for others, too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CEl1_Fb8CgQcAqbFNETgOwH5BWx3bTqEt0kEpV-O5OM/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:04:06 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:03:55 am »
WLP041 is believed to be identical to 1332.  If you can't find that one, WLP007 will get you very close.  If you must use a dried yeast, S-04 will suffice, but it won't be quite the same, it won't attenuate as much and you'll want to substitute simple sugar such as cane sugar for 10-15% of the base malt to get the attenuation down.

I suppose it's high time I shared this secret list with the AHA forum.  This is based on about 100 hours of research by me, but with primary credit to many others, including results of recent genomic studies conducted over the past 3 years.  This is a snapshot copy, I'm still working to figure out how to maintain a link to an active "living" copy that I can update every couple months.  Enjoy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zr6kxqkEP29pD-t7vGLX7IwX643AFuk3/view?usp=sharing
Dave, if I may, a bit OT:  You have been busy!  I'm having trouble viewing this,  but... I see you have two question marks for S-04,  the two closest on suregork's dendrograph.  I'd suggest that WLP013 can be ruled out phenotypically, but WLP006 is still close.  But I'd bet it's neither of those.  If we've learned anything it's that even if two strains start from the same source,  they go their own ways in the hands of different labs.  Especially as Fermentis have surely selected adapted isolates for their specific purposes.  Borne out  by  the fact that it has its own place on the tree.   If functional equivalents are what we want...

To the OP:  Dont worry about using the exact yeast strain a recipe's creator did.  Any yeast that will provide an appropriate degree of attenuation, flavor, etc. can substituted according to your needs. Read the manufacturer's descriptions. Most important is to choose from yeasts you know you can obtain fresh and in good condition.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Unable to buy Wyeast
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:54 am »

Interesting. I always thought S-33 was Bedford Ale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:52 am »

Interesting. I always thought S-33 was Bedford Ale.

Edme
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 11:02:08 am »

Very nice work, Dave, and thank you for sharing!  Very useful information indeed!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:20 pm »
From work, I could not get the above link to work.  But this one works, so maybe this will work better for others, too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CEl1_Fb8CgQcAqbFNETgOwH5BWx3bTqEt0kEpV-O5OM/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry about the hijack, but I figured this thread was as good a place as any.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline NCE98

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:54:58 pm »
Sorry about the hijack, but I figured this thread was as good a place as any.

Don't worry about it, you were extremely helpful. Thank you all for you replies.

Offline BrewBama

Unable to buy Wyeast
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:08:50 pm »
... Wyeast 1056, which is also Safeale US-05 or Lallmand BRY-97 (dry yeasts).

Cheers!

I don’t think US 05 = BRY 97.  Though BRY 97 is a clean flocculant yeast, I believe BRY 96 = US 05.  Beware — BRY 97 has a significant lag period. ...but I guess Dave’s spreadsheet makes that fairly clear.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:11:28 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 08:12:01 pm »

Cheers!

I don’t think US 05 = BRY 97.  Though BRY 97 is a clean flocculant yeast, I believe BRY 96 = US 05.  Beware — BRY 97 has a significant lag period.

None of the above are equivalent.  BRY-97 isn't remotely related to anything else.  US-05 is closely related to BRY-96 ("Chico"), but at about 83% is almost 10% more attenuative than Chico.  No way I would consider any of these to be equivalents.  Similar in clean American ale flavors, sure.  But not much else.
Dave

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 08:12:21 pm »

Cheers!

I don’t think US 05 = BRY 97.  Though BRY 97 is a clean flocculant yeast, I believe BRY 96 = US 05.  Beware — BRY 97 has a significant lag period. ...but I guess Dave’s spreadsheet makes that fairly clear.

That chart predates all the genomic studies.  So does Kristen England's for that matter.  As of this date, the most reliable chart of "equivalents" is Dave's.   But I would still add the caveat that divergence is ongoing, and as such source is almost irrelevant.   Each commercial strain must be evaluated on its own in practice.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:16:05 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 08:15:42 pm »
That chart predates all the genomic studies.  So does Kristen England's for that matter.

Precisely why I finally, finally, took the time to "fix" it all.  I just got sick & tired of all the old outdated misinformation.  Plus I *needed* to gather all my thoughts on all the dried yeasts.
Dave

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 08:16:57 pm »
That chart predates all the genomic studies.  So does Kristen England's for that matter.

Precisely why I finally, finally, took the time to "fix" it all.  I just got sick & tired of all the old outdated misinformation.
See edit of my post.  Thanks much, Dave.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 08:17:56 pm »

Precisely why I finally, finally, took the time to "fix" it all.  I just got sick & tired of all the old outdated misinformation.
See edit of my post.  Thanks much, Dave.

We all keep editing every post, myself included.  See my edit above regarding dried yeasts.  We're such dorks.   ;D
Dave