Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: overnight mash  (Read 4436 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
overnight mash
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:42:29 pm »
In order to break up the time required for brewing all-grain I started performing overnight mashes in lieu of traditional 60 minute mashes last year after reading about a brulosophy experiment where tasters were unable to reliably distinguish the differnece between a pilsner brewed using these 2 methods.  I typically brew 5 gal batches using BIAB and have made some tasty beers using this method.  So far the only negative I've found using this method is my efficiency tends to vary from 75-85% using an overnight mash, compared to 70-75% using a traditional mash. 
I'm curious if anyone has had any problems doing overnight mashes, or any particular styles where this method didn't work as well.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: overnight mash
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
Fermentability/attenuation will be maximized for sure.  Expect attenuation to be about 10% higher than "normal" for the particular yeast strain.  You could compensate for this by selecting a yeast with known lower attenuation... or decide whether maybe you just don't care and don't need to adjust, that's cool too.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:37:07 am »
In order to break up the time required for brewing all-grain I started performing overnight mashes in lieu of traditional 60 minute mashes last year after reading about a brulosophy experiment where tasters were unable to reliably distinguish the differnece between a pilsner brewed using these 2 methods.  I typically brew 5 gal batches using BIAB and have made some tasty beers using this method.  So far the only negative I've found using this method is my efficiency tends to vary from 75-85% using an overnight mash, compared to 70-75% using a traditional mash. 
I'm curious if anyone has had any problems doing overnight mashes, or any particular styles where this method didn't work as well.

I have also read about this procedure.  But I’m curious, how do you maintain mash temperature with this method?  Unless you’re using an electric automatic system, a typical cooler would loose quite a few degrees overnight.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:54:23 am »
how do you maintain mash temperature with this method?  Unless you’re using an electric automatic system, a typical cooler would loose quite a few degrees overnight.

Does it matter?  Most of the enzymatic activity is done in the first hour.  Remnants will continue to break down sugars very slowly over the next several hours, but this will happen whether warm mash temperatures are well maintained or not.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:57:44 am »
Dave-  I have noticed a higher attenuation and to this point I've been rolling with it and accepted beers a bit stronger than planned.  I'm hoping once I get my efficiency numbers more consistent I can scale my recipes down a bit to compensate.  I will also look into using less attenuating yeast. 

Fermenting, Saison

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:02:28 am »
how do you maintain mash temperature with this method?  Unless you’re using an electric automatic system, a typical cooler would loose quite a few degrees overnight.

Does it matter?  Most of the enzymatic activity is done in the first hour.  Remnants will continue to break down sugars very slowly over the next several hours, but this will happen whether warm mash temperatures are well maintained or not.

I don't try to maintain my mash temp and accept it will drop overnight.  I'm mashing in my boil kettle and insulate it with a thermal wrap and a couple towels to keep the temp relatively stable during the first hour or so but by the morning the temp is usually between 110F to 120F depending on the time of year here in Northern California.  I usually mash in a couple degrees warmer hoping to enhance body a bit and compensate for time spent with mash at lower temps, not sure if it helps as my FG numbers are a bit lower than planned due to higher attenuation that Dave alluded to above.

Fermenting, Saison

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:03:06 am »
Dave-  I have noticed a higher attenuation and to this point I've been rolling with it and accepted beers a bit stronger than planned.  I'm hoping once I get my efficiency numbers more consistent I can scale my recipes down a bit to compensate.  I will also look into using less attenuating yeast.

Dave

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:03:59 pm »
I've been using this method for years and love it. mash into a cooler, go to bed and its only lost maybe 6-7 by morning.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:46:48 pm »
Fascinating - and, apparently a greater amount of extract is produced overnight! 
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 02:54:39 pm »
Fascinating - and, apparently a greater amount of extract is produced overnight!
I suspect it's a matter of leaching more of it into the runoff, like slowing down the sparge will do compared with a rapid runoff.   No matter how you mash, you shouldn't be stopping the mash program until you have reached 100% conversion as confirmed by both wort density measurements and iodine test.   After that it's just lautering efficiency.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:57 am »
I suspect it's a matter of leaching more of it into the runoff, like slowing down the sparge will do compared with a rapid runoff.   No matter how you mash, you shouldn't be stopping the mash program until you have reached 100% conversion as confirmed by both wort density measurements and iodine test.   After that it's just lautering efficiency.

Perhaps this question is for another thread, but you (Robert) mention iodine test.  I have read about this test, and, in fact, I’ve asked other brewers about it, but can’t get a good answer.

What is it, how does it work, what instruments/products are needed and how does one perform this test?
Joliet, IL

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:19 am »
A small sample of the liquid mash (no solid particles) is placed on a white porcelain saucer.  A few drops of tincture of iodine are added.  Watch the interface between the two, looking for any change in color.  When iodine meets starch or other more complex carbohydrates,*  it will turn black, blue, deep mahogany, etc. depending on the degree to which the carbohydrates have been broken down.  Black or blue indicates a lot of native starch.   No color change at all, the dilute iodine still showing a yellowish color, indicates complete conversion, all the starch turned to sugars.  This is called a "negative iodine test" and is your goal.  At this point you can mash off and collect the wort.  You can, I say.  But conversion is not the same as extraction:

Tracking density is easiest with a refractometer on our scale.  You can calculate the maximum wort density possible given your grain bill and volume of water,  and when that is reached you know you have not only converted starch to sugar, but fully extracted it into the wort.  That probably is a topic for elsewhere,  but both of these are discussed on the old Braukaiser website (though Kai has a rather wonkier version of the iodine test.)

*Including cellulose and the like, which is why you want to avoid solid particles of grain and husk in the sample.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:56:17 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28:02 am »
^^^^^^^^

Fascinating information.  I believe I have found the website you’re referring to.  I’m going to read up on the subject.  Thanks for your help!
Joliet, IL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:48:08 am »
^^^^^^^^

Fascinating information.  I believe I have found the website you’re referring to.  I’m going to read up on the subject.  Thanks for your help!

FWIW , I found the iodine test so unreliable and uninformative that I stopped doing it many years ago.  Give it a try and decide for yourself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 08:58:43 am »
^^^^^^^^

FWIW , I found the iodine test so unreliable and uninformative that I stopped doing it many years ago.  Give it a try and decide for yourself.
I gave it up but went back.  Maybe that's a bit belt-and-suspenders, but it's all information.  If you have to do only one test, monitoring first wort density is the one.  You won't get to maximum potential density without first achieving full conversion.  But in most cases we don't have sufficient lot analysis on all our grains to calculate the potential of our malt with absolute certainty, so the iodine test is insurance, as I see it.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio