Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard kombucha with brett blend  (Read 218 times)

Offline PioneerProject1

• 1st Kit
Hard kombucha with brett blend
« on: February 23, 2024, 01:35:36 pm »
Hello,

I'm running a pilot project for a brewery and our goal is to innovate on fun experimental styles. A while back I had a 3.7% hard kombucha that was mixed fermented with brett in oak barrels. It had a lambic funkiness, a touch of sweetness from the blackberries and vanilla added but still very dry from the brett. The brewery has discontinued the brand due to the brewer moving away and no one to pick up the project.

My sanitation levels are top notch, I am aware of the cross contamination associated with Brettanomyces, I'll be conducting this all in a walled off area away from my fermenters.

I've always just produced ales and lagers. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried something similar or has any resources they're willing to share. This is a whole new world for me and I would love to be a student again in learning how wild fermentation, bottle conditioning, pitching brett with fruit or sugar works.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Hard kombucha with brett blend
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 01:04:10 pm »
I have no specific feedback, but I'm curious how this is being managed. Are you fermenting the kombucha with the Scoby first, then racking to barrels with Brett? Or do the barrels have both the kombucha Scoby and the brett? I think the barrels will end up growing a Scoby, even if you rack off of the initial Scoby in primary. I'm not sure if the Brett will become inhibited by the Scoby, or maybe it will become part of it. Sounds like a cool experiment.

Also, what does the end product taste like? I would assume it ends up being dry and vinegary? I've brewed kombucha in the past, but I'm not a huge fan of vinegar, so I left it sweet and drank it fresh.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline PioneerProject1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 02:24:58 pm »

I have 2 experiments going currently.

1. Ferment kombucha traditionally. Once I get down to about 3.8-4pH, rack into a barrel, add fruit and pitch brett. Then bottle condition with some priming sugar.

I'm curious to see if an additional scoby grows in the barrel. Hoping that'll be my "house scoby" blend I could continue to use for bigger batches in the future.

2. I found a scoby blended with brett. Pitching that into a clean bucket with fruit. Then bottling with priming sugar after fermentation has stopped.

I'm going to try and control the pH in order to avoid too much vinegar taste. Allowing the brett to showcase a funky lambic flavor. Still waiting for results. I will update as I travel further into the unknown.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 09:00:12 am »
I'm looking forward to hearing your results. I love this kind of creative stuff where you just have to step off the ledge and hope for the best.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer