Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dmtaylor's yeast chart  (Read 7874 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: dmtaylor's yeast chart
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 09:02:01 pm »
In the comments Suregork says. ”... that even though strains are closely related, they may still differ phenotypically (especially on the aroma side as you mention). The tree can still be useful for finding substitutes though, but should of course not be trusted blindly.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 08:29:55 pm »
Hey, nice work dmtaylor!

A couple pairs of strains that Kris equated but are not the same:

1187/WLP 005 -- Both are supposedly single-strain isolates from Ringwood. But Ringwood is a multi-strain culture and these are definitely not the same yeast.

1187's history is that Wyeast had 1187 Ringwood Ale and also 1742 Swedish Porter. 1742 was from the famed Carnegie Porter (Pripp's). Kris even says that in his chart. But then when Wyeast sequenced 1187 and 1742, it turned out they are the same, and Wyeast ended up discontinuing 1742. It's not surprising that the same strain ended up in Ringwood and in the Carnegie brewery, because yeast lending and trading was common in the British Isles, and the entrepreneur who owned Carnegie (David Carnegie) was back and forth between Scotland and Sweden.

If you read the yeast specs, it's clear that the performance specs are quire different. White Labs admits that WLP005 is adapted for conical fermentation. Meanwhile, 1187 is the yeast that brewpubs in the 1980s and 1990s loved for its legendary speed (fermentation kinetics and clearing) and expressive ale character, and it doesn't take much experimentation to realize it does in open fermentation and would likely do poorly in conicals.

1178/WLP028 - maybe this one is a bit closer call. Doubtless they both came from McEwan's. It just seems based on fermentation performance and flavor profile that for whatever reason, selection of individuals for the master culture, drift, or something else, these are nowhere near identical strains. 1178 is adapted to very cold fermentation, can ferment (slowly) at even lager fermentation temps (50-55°C), and from what I've heard it seems more closely adapted to what modern Scottish breweries are doing. WLP028, on the other hand, won't ferment as cool and is not as clean at any temperature. The other interesting thing is that 1178 is a great IPA yeast and plays well with hops, while WLP028 seems to diminish hop character (maybe due to flocculation characteristics). Anyway, this is a tougher call to claim the two strains are completely differentiated -- but they've certainly drifted apart quite a bit.

Anyway, I appreciate your keeping the chart up to day. Cheers!
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 07:24:53 am »
I might as well set this here, since someone on another forum asked for it.  Yes, I've been maintaining my list regularly, but hadn't published an updated version since January... until now I suppose. Here's the latest including what little I know about the newest studies just came out this month:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14zvCCukT0xiTN2sWtTNa3ptHlBaPstRa/view?usp=sharing

OR

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nwVema5Y8kuGbTR_vlz6gzU-KCngFYWjrAJO44xjwfA/edit?usp=sharing

(pick the Google version you prefer)

Primary references for the newest updates found here -- I believe we might have already had an AHA thread here on it as well, and if not, well now we do:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/interesting-genome-sequencing-of-some-yeasts.670056/

Interestingly, 1187 Ringwood is most likely a pastorianus strain.  Nobody saw that one coming!  And so is WLP029 Kolsch.  That one makes more sense.  And WLP838 lager might be a cerevisiae strain!?  Yikes.  etc.

My spreadsheet is compiled mainly for my own personal gratification. I don't blog, don't have a website, don't really care what people think of it. But if it can help anybody out, please enjoy and feel free to share. :)

Cheers all.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:28:25 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:13 pm »
Thanks for keeping it updated, Dave!  I think you'll be kinda busy here in the next few months...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 07:55:38 am »
Kudos, Dave!  You have done an immense amount of work to create this yeast chart.  Thank you for that!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 12:27:01 pm »
Does anyone have info on Bells House Yeast? I have used it for a 2HA clone and (accidentally) for an SNPA clone. The 2HA clone turned out excellent, and I'll get a taste of the SNPA clone this evening.

The yeast is very flocculent, and the appearance of the starters (clumpy) and the yeast mud in the bottom of the fermentor leads me to believe its origin is English. Overall its behavior is much like WLP-007.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 01:44:00 pm »
Bell's yeast is not Chico, as some claim. It ferments with a big krausen, produces an orange ester, and only goes to 11% ABV.
Those that have talked to Larry said his reply was that when he started there were only 3 or 4 yeasts out there, andbitbismone of them. My vote goes to an English strain, which one?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2019, 01:45:08 pm »
Bell's yeast is not Chico, as some claim. It ferments with a big krausen, produces an orange ester, and only goes to 11% ABV.
Those that have talked to Larry said his reply was that when he started there were only 3 or 4 yeasts out there, andbitbismone of them. My vote goes to an English strain, which one?

Imperial has the Bell's house yeast, only sell it at the general store.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 04:11:05 pm »
My own guess is that Bell's yeast might be a derivative of Cooper's.  But I could be way off on this of course.  It's only a guess.  Based on fruity esters.  Personally I've picked up pineapple and citrus-like esters in both Cooper's and Bell's beers... some of the time... occasionally... maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 04:17:49 pm »
My own guess is that Bell's yeast might be a derivative of Cooper's.  But I could be way off on this of course.  It's only a guess.  Based on fruity esters.  Personally I've picked up pineapple and citrus-like esters in both Cooper's and Bell's beers... some of the time... occasionally... maybe.
Similar in the big mess of fluff in the bottle as well.  I'd never have thought in that direction, but it is worth considering.   Whatever the origin, it has surely changed significantly in Bell's hands. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 04:56:06 pm »

Was Cooper's available in the Homebrew trade in 1985? Or when Larry started his Homebrew shop?

I started in 1992, Cooper's was around then.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 05:11:49 pm »

Was Cooper's available in the Homebrew trade in 1985? Or when Larry started his Homebrew shop?

I started in 1992, Cooper's was around then.
This suggests it's possible  https://coopers.com.au/diy-beer
Started exporting in '82
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 05:21:25 pm »

Maybe it will go through genetic ID, the we know for sure what it is close to?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 09:19:20 pm »

Maybe it will go through genetic ID, the we know for sure what it is close to?

Not that I've been able to discern yet.  But of course anything's possible.
Dave

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 05:15:17 pm »
I googled it and found a post by 303 Brews on this forum that says; "I'm using the Inland Island Eccentric ale, which is the Bell's house strain.". Interesting!

My 2HA clone pulled an astonishing FG of 0.8 Plato (temperature corrected). That translates to 1.003 SG, and I have never come close to 1.003 before! The lowest I had previously seen was 1.005, and that only happens once in a blue moon.

The SNPA clone I used the yeast on only got down to 1.006. lol

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!