Author Topic: Favorite mixed drinks  (Read 4809 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite mixed drinks
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
Ever have a Jersey Turnpike?
Ugh, that's narsty!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 04:57:05 AM »

Hmm, google, google, google, hello urban dictionary... read, read, EWWWW.  Presumably you mean the drink, but EWWWW.

But it does sound like something Snooki would drink.  Or do.

Can we go back to real drinks, please?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 05:26:11 AM »
Someone already mentioned the Dark and Stormy!  +1!

I couldn't get the layering right but Goslings and Goya Ginger Beer make a nice example:

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »
Can we go back to real drinks, please?

I'll second that motion.   :o

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »
Someone already mentioned the Dark and Stormy!  +1!

I couldn't get the layering right but Goslings and Goya Ginger Beer make a nice example:

Darn it! It's lunch time and those ribs look awesome!
OK! Dark and Stormy it is! I love Goya Ginger Beer. I get it by the 2 liter. Puts Bundaberg to shame.

How about Myers dark rum for that?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »
How about Myers dark rum for that?

Myers won't quite be the same. Goslings Black Seal is literally black, not just dark.  Get some Goslings and try one each way and see what you find.
Joe

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »
Well...I would say Goslings is pretty dark, but its not the blackest.  Blackest I've had (in my limited trials) is Cruzan Blackstrap, which is a very cheap rum.  However it is also one of the sweetest and most "molassesy", where the Goslings is much more balanced and drinkable.  The Cruzan would be my choice for stuff like hot buttered rum, cooking desserts with rum, maybe a mulled cider with it, etc.  Goslings will do you better for a dark and stormy, and may indeed be the "official" rum for the recipe if I'm not much mistaken.

I do buy a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap which is labelled as the USN's official rum every December in time for the Army Navy game.  Ever since I started the tradition, Navy has never lost.  I'm not going to be guilty of causation vs correlation here but who am I to break with tradition?  :D

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »
The central ingredient in many Lithuanian cocktails is Krupnik, sweet vodka made from 40%-50% alcohol, honey and up to 50 herbs. Krupnik is usually mixed with vodka, champagne or other liquors and can be found in bars all over the country.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
Jersey Turnpike is a real drink.Ive seen people drink it. The way I have seen it made is to shakeout the bar mats at the end of the night. Get that liquid in a shot glass and add some vodka.

Now, a Tahitian Lady is not a real drink.But...
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »
I'm not huge on mixed drinks.  The alternative choice (straight bourbon or dry martinis) usually wrecks my night, though.

I drank a lot of rum while sailing in the Caribbean this past February.  My favorite concoction (other than rum and whatever random juice we had left on the boat) was a bushwacker.  I hadn't heard of it before, but they had it at all the little island bars in the BVI.  It's like a dessert, practically. I figure if i'm mixing, i may as well go all out.  Here's my latest version:

For 4 servings

2 oz rum
2 oz spiced rum
2 oz vodka
2 oz kahlua
2 oz frangelico
2 oz bailey's
2 oz coco lopez (or coco goya)
4 oz milk
Ice, enough to fill 3/4 blender

Blend until smooth.  Pour into 4 glasses. Add a dab of chocolate syrup and liberal amounts of fresh grated nutmeg to top.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:57:32 PM by narvin »
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2010, 06:47:47 PM »
Well I don't think being bushwacked will do me much good  with the week I had. Already feel bushwacked. ;)

So wasn't able to find Goslings at the LLS... It's here just have to track it down. And I'm upset. Two HEB's and NO Goya GB! I'm actually pissed off about it and thinking about an email or even a phone call. They've carried it for years. Then again maybe they can't get it right now for what ever reason.

So I used Myers instead of Bacardi Black and some HCF canned gingerale. Made a D&S in a rocks glass. After a few sips poured it into a pint glass and added more gingerale. Pretty good. Really needs that heat and bite of the proper ginger beer though. Kinda makes me thirsty...

The rum is very apparent. Maybe I should have got the Bacardi. It needs more ginger counterbalance so I might add some. If I could find some Stewart's Ginger Beer- that'd work. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
I picked up a 10 year aged rum from Callwoods on Tortolla (BVI) called Arundel rum.  It's a really small distillery that grows all of the sugar cane they use.  Here's a few pictures from the tour:

Sugar cane:

Tasting:

Aging in carboys and barrels:

Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
Couple of my favorites......bourbon and ice, whiskey sour, Seven & Seven, gun and tonic, and I'm pretty fond of the occasional beer chandy (sp?)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:03 PM »
With what I have available the Light and Stormy is pretty good. Not bad in a rocks glass.

I'll have a few or several tonight.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
Couple of my favorites...... gun and tonic

Gives you that nice minerally flavor.  Also prevents both intruders and malaria at the same time.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale