Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fastfermentor  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Timothy Frisbie

• 1st Kit
Fastfermentor
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:28 pm »
I am using the Fastfermentor conical with a trub tub. Do you remove the trub tub and dump after the primary fermentation is done?
When you clean and reinstall the tub does it hurt or oxidize the beer when you open the valve and the air enters the fermentor?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:57:45 pm by Timothy Frisbie »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Fastfermentor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 05:03:55 am »

I am using the Fastfermentor conical with a trub tub. Do you remove the trub tub and dump after the primary fermentation is done?
When you clean and reinstall the tub does it hurt or oxidize the beer when you open the valve and the air enters the fermentor?

I do not own this thing, but here are my thoughts.

Do you remove the trub tub and dump after the primary fermentation is done?
I would remove the tub when I was ready to package the beer, or when I was sure terminal gravity was reached.   

I would not open the tub on already finished beer.  It looks like it would just be an air dump into your beer.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:44:24 am »
By "trub tub" do you mean the collection ball?
To harvest yeast with the collection ball you leave the valve open with the ball attached during fermentation. After fermentation you close the valve and remove your ball full of yeast.
To remove trub prior to pitching the yeast, you can let it settle into the cone and then dump it via the valve. This will allow you to harvest nice clean trub-free yeast. I suppose you could use the collection ball to remove trub in the same manner as harvesting yeast, as long as you don't have more trub than what fits in the ball.

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:52:29 pm »
Yes you remove it, yes if you open the valve oxygen is introduced into the beer.

The general idea is that you can remove it earlier during fermentation to remove trub if necessary. Reinstall and remove the yeast following fermentation. This allows for an additional "secondary" without actually moving the beer.

I have two of them. I avoid transferring large amounts of trub to the fermenter and avoid significant unbagged dry hoping so that I remove the collection ball just prior to packaging. This way it is not full and the valve area is not filled or blocked.  I re-use the yeast collected in the ball in later brews. I generally only remove the collection ball once.

If I do find the needed to remove the collection ball prior to the end of fermentation, I do so and allow the air from the balls replacement to "blurp" up though the beer.(not that there is another option)  If fermentation is still incomplete, the oxygen will be used by the yeast to finish fermentation with little to no effect on the finished product.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:55:32 pm by brew inspector01 »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 08:57:56 am »
   I have 4 of them and have done over 90 batches with them, after a lot of trial and error my process is to dump the collection ball at the end of primary, usually when bubbles through the airlock slow down to 1 or 2 a minute. Before re-attaching the collection ball I always purge it with CO2, then open the valve to collect the later dropping yeast. Depending on the recipe and yeast type, it is not at all unusual for the collection ball to be full to overflowing with yeast sediment and trub after just a few days [the balls hold 750 mL]. Again, depending the recipe I usually dump the ball just before cold crashing and again after [I do a lot of beers with very high percentages of Rye, the sediment from that can be prodigious]. I also save the contents of the ball in a jar in the fridge, even if I don't end up re-using the yeast, the beer sitting on top of the yeast after chilling and separation is perfectly drinkable, although flat.
    One thing I can't stress enough is the importance of dismantling and cleaning the vavle body after EVERY batch, do it once and you'll see why I say this.
   Cheers
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!