Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Habanero Friendly Hops  (Read 845 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Habanero Friendly Hops
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:12 pm »
Were you making a habanero beer what hop(s) would you use for a hoppy style of beer?

I used 100% Centennial in my strong ale and felt that I couldn’t discern either flavor, which wasn’t bad, but seemed to meld together into something I couldn’t recognize. I’m not sure if it’s a something to consider or not but I feel I’d almost prefer a hop that’s more habanero flavored. And though that’s a tall order as far as I know I’d still like to hear ideas of hops that would play nicely. Recommendations?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Habanero Friendly Hops
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:55:52 am »
Were you making a habanero beer what hop(s) would you use for a hoppy style of beer?

I used 100% Centennial in my strong ale and felt that I couldn’t discern either flavor, which wasn’t bad, but seemed to meld together into something I couldn’t recognize. I’m not sure if it’s a something to consider or not but I feel I’d almost prefer a hop that’s more habanero flavored. And though that’s a tall order as far as I know I’d still like to hear ideas of hops that would play nicely. Recommendations?
I would go with tropical fruit forward hops like Citra or something similar, maybe South American.  Stay away from strong, harsh bittering hops.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:33:50 am »

I've brewed an imperial IPA with the 7 "C" hops then added a tincture made with fresh habaneros. It works out very well. I also agree that tropical fruity hops would also work well.

Cheers,
Brandon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:34:36 pm »
I think it's whatever you want. But I'll throw in an opinion: how about amarillo? Floral and grapefruit to pair with the spice.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:06 pm »
Thanks for all the input fellas!