Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: gypsum and calcium chloride usage  (Read 1525 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
gypsum and calcium chloride usage
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:44:13 pm »
when brewing with RO or distilled water do you need to use both gypsum and calcium chloride? or is it dependent on the style you are brewing? for example if you are brewing a pilsner all you need is calcium chloride and if brewing a IPA all you need is gypsum correct? also i heard gypsum or rather the sulfates from gypsum dont mesh well with noble hops and create a harsh bitterness, but at what amount? if you have say 20-50ppm sulfate that should not be enough to make the noble hops harsh right? we are talking 100+ ppm to get harshness anyway thank you have a great day cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: gypsum and calcium chloride usage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:51:05 pm »
when brewing with RO or distilled water do you need to use both gypsum and calcium chloride? or is it dependent on the style you are brewing? for example if you are brewing a pilsner all you need is calcium chloride and if brewing a IPA all you need is gypsum correct? also i heard gypsum or rather the sulfates from gypsum dont mesh well with noble hops and create a harsh bitterness, but at what amount? if you have say 20-50ppm sulfate that should not be enough to make the noble hops harsh right? we are talking 100+ ppm to get harshness anyway thank you have a great day cheers

It depends entirely on the beer you're brewing.  It's a myth that a pils shouldn't have sulfate...I prefer German pils and a decent level is necessary for those.  I have never found sulfate to make noble hops harsh, even at levels of 50 ppm.  Dude, where do you this stuff?  ;)  Go download Bru'nwater, read the water knowledge page, and learn to use it!  Shoot me an email if you need help.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 02:55:02 pm »

It depends entirely on the beer you're brewing.  It's a myth that a pils shouldn't have sulfate...I prefer German pils and a decent level is necessary for those.  I have never found sulfate to make noble hops harsh, even at levels of 50 ppm.  Dude, where do you this stuff?  ;)  Go download Bru'nwater, read the water knowledge page, and learn to use it!  Shoot me an email if you need help.
Thank you Denny appreciate it, i actually heard that from someone on HBT anyway when i brew pilsners i shoot for 50ppm calcium, 75ppm chloride and around 50-60 ppm sulfate, have yet to make a great pilsner maybe if i balance the chloride/sulfate to equal ppms?
Matty

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:36:40 pm »
As Denny points out, No Sulfate in European lagers is a total myth!!  It was proposed by one of my co-contributors on the Water book. It is not borne out by ANY data...just one person’s skewed and flawed perception. Noble or not, its false.

With that said, don’t go overboard with sulfate unless you want the beer finish to be drying.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 06:51:32 pm »
Thank you Martin, what would you consider an overboard amount of sulfate in a german pilsner?
Matty

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:15:15 pm »
I and others have found that the Jever profile in Bru’n Water works well in a GP.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:19:03 pm »
I and others have found that the Jever profile in Bru’n Water works well in a GP.
+1

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 06:01:44 am »

+1 as well
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 08:05:36 am »

That's exactly what I use for my G pils and it works wonderfully.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 08:06:55 am »

Thank you Denny appreciate it, i actually heard that from someone on HBT anyway when i brew pilsners i shoot for 50ppm calcium, 75ppm chloride and around 50-60 ppm sulfate, have yet to make a great pilsner maybe if i balance the chloride/sulfate to equal ppms?

Unfortunately, somehow the majority of people on HBT blindly follow one person's flawed advice on water.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:34 pm »

Unfortunately, somehow the majority of people on HBT blindly follow one person's flawed advice on water.

I’ve gotten some great advice from a certain someone in the Brew Science forum at HBT. Great discussions on pH estimation, water knowledge, water chemistry, etc. are constantly going on over there. In the past year, we have had some pretty great discussions, specifically touching on the topic of charge conservation when calculating a mash’s Acid/base characteristics.

Very good stuff.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:59:38 pm by Big Monk »