Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool hops  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Whirlpool hops
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »
I am brewing a strong Irish Red Ale. Mostly Marris and German Munich. Using Jarrylo (14.5AA) single hop. I was originally going to whirlpool and dry hop but sort of changing my mind about this. I am now wondering if I can whirlpool with the hops that I had planned for BOTH the whirlpool and dry hop (1 oz + 1.5 oz =2.5 oz).

The resulting hop schedule would look something like this: .5 oz @ 60, .5 oz @ 15, 2.5 oz whirlpool. My question is will that be gross? 2.5 oz of hops thrown in at flameout?

Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Whirlpool hops
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:08:43 am »
I am brewing a strong Irish Red Ale. Mostly Marris and German Munich. Using Jarrylo (14.5AA) single hop. I was originally going to whirlpool and dry hop but sort of changing my mind about this. I am now wondering if I can whirlpool with the hops that I had planned for BOTH the whirlpool and dry hop (1 oz + 1.5 oz =2.5 oz).

The resulting hop schedule would look something like this: .5 oz @ 60, .5 oz @ 15, 2.5 oz whirlpool. My question is will that be gross? 2.5 oz of hops thrown in at flameout?
I sounds delicious to me, but I don’t think you can call it a strong Irish Red.  That particular style is not hop forward.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:32:57 am »
I would have to agree with jeffy.  Your beer will not have a lot of bitter, but will have a great deal of hop flavor and aroma with all the late additions.  Overall it sounds like it will be a great beer!  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:39:41 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:39:25 am »
From the Brewers Association 2018 Style Guidelines -- I've seen a lot of beers like this.  And yes, they're good.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:43:34 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:07:15 am »
You can move your dry hops to whirlpool if you want. The flavor/aroma contribution is not identical but it is close enough that it works well enough for a beer like this.

It's actually my preference to do all my final hop additions at whirlpool with no dry hopping unless the beer has aged or it's a hoppy style like an IPA which usually has hops crammed in at every given opportunity.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:12:23 pm »
great feedback.  Thanks everyone. :)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 11:15:23 am »
The propane is ignited. Brewing on a rainy day. Very excited about this beer. It is a favorite of mine, drank the whole keg myself the last time I brewed it, though now I have altered the recipe somewhat. Here is the complete recipe just FYI, and any last minute comments or criticism is welcomed:

BIAB (beginning with 8.75 gal. filtered tap adding 4.1g gypsum, .9g chalk, 2.7ml lactic)

Water: cal. 62ppm, mag. 11ppm, sodium 48ppm, sulfate 114ppm, chloride 56ppm, bicarb 23ppm

Grain: 12lbs Marris, 5lbs German Munich, .75 CaraVien (Belgian 22), .5 Crystal 40, .5 French Kiln Coffee
(60 min mash @ 152f)

Hop Schedule: Jarrylo (single hop) -- .5oz @60, .5oz@ 15, 2.5oz @whilrpool. (approximatly 38 IBU)

Yeast: WL Irish Ale (made starter from .5 lbs of malt 40 hours)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:50:54 am by Pope of Dope »

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 04:36:35 pm »
This should probably be in yeast and ferm. category, but since I began in recipes I thought I would discuss it here. Apology in advance. This beer came out much bigger than expected. My LHBS repaired their mill, which now explains why my efficiency over the past 6 mo. was subpar. I have been adding a few extra pounds of base malt to compensate but alas I have now brewed a 1.086 beer. That's cool, because I can think of much worse unplanned outcomes; however, my starter was only in a pint of wort with 1 pack of WLP004 that was not looking very effervescent at that. It bubbles when I swish it around but otherwise a pretty placid flask of brown liquid. Started it 40 hrs ago and probably just ate through all the wort by now.

Option 1: just let things take their course. Put in ferm chamber at 68 and call it a day.

or

Option 2: dump in the dry packet of 05 yeast that I keep in the refrigerator in case of emergency. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 04:50:06 pm »
1.086 is pretty big for the pack of dry too, and 40 hours is still a pretty fresh starter.  I vote pitch the starter, aerate well, and if you're worried you can aerate a second time within the first 12 hours.  That seems to be a good approach with big beers, and hey, you went to the trouble of making a starter with your chosen yeast.  And cell count isn't as important as keeping yeast happy.  And hey, glad you finally found out what was up and it wasn't your fault.  A whole lot of us suspected your LHBS wasn't milling your grain right!

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:25 pm »
Okay. Done.  Thanks Robert. It's a great homebrew shop, but I knew that old mill was broke down.

Should I buy another pack of WLP004 and begin another starter to dump in a couple days from now?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:19:55 pm by Pope of Dope »

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 05:36:33 pm »
Nah.  I'd just RDWHAHB.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:40:57 am »
Getting a lot of bubbling in the airlock can't be a bad sign. Can't wait to drink this one.