Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leaking Post  (Read 1307 times)

Offline lladutke

• 1st Kit
Leaking Post
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:05:08 am »
Last night, I tried disconnecting both of our kegs from the taps.  The first one worked without any problems.  The second one, however, started leaking beer.  I reconnected it and cleaned up the mess.

Here is what I think cause the problem:  When we first used the kegs, the connections would not go on. I took the empty one back to the store and they said the popits needed to be replaced.  They did this AND over-tightened the posts with an automatic tool.  When it came time to bottle, the post would not come loose.  I strained so hard (using a wrench and a hammer) that it bent to the side--without coming off.  I took it back, and they took it off for me.  When we but the beer in and turned on the CO2, beer shot out like a fountain.  I had to turn it off and manually fit the popit back in the post.  My guess now is that the tilt of the post is making the popit not go straight up to seal properly.

If this is the case, should I tried to manually to bend the post back into an upright position (after we drink all of the beer and depressurize it, of course)?

I want to disconnect the taps so that the kids can't get to the beer.

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Leaking Post
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:21:36 am »
Last night, I tried disconnecting both of our kegs from the taps.  The first one worked without any problems.  The second one, however, started leaking beer.  I reconnected it and cleaned up the mess.

Here is what I think cause the problem:  When we first used the kegs, the connections would not go on. I took the empty one back to the store and they said the popits needed to be replaced.  They did this AND over-tightened the posts with an automatic tool.  When it came time to bottle, the post would not come loose.  I strained so hard (using a wrench and a hammer) that it bent to the side--without coming off.  I took it back, and they took it off for me.  When we but the beer in and turned on the CO2, beer shot out like a fountain.  I had to turn it off and manually fit the popit back in the post.  My guess now is that the tilt of the post is making the popit not go straight up to seal properly.

If this is the case, should I tried to manually to bend the post back into an upright position (after we drink all of the beer and depressurize it, of course)?

I want to disconnect the taps so that the kids can't get to the beer.

Whoah! They used an automatic tool to tighten a keg post? Talk about overkill. What were they thinking? Do they change out tires also? JK. Anyway...at this point doesn't seem like you have anything to lose by trying to straighten it out. It's already broken! Or...I guess you could try some Teflon tape - but that could be a long shot. Good luck!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:20 am »
It's probably not the post that is bent, but the part of the keg that the post screws onto.  It may make a difference as to where the dip tube goes at the bottom of the keg, but it probably isn't the cause of the leak.  The spring-loaded poppet in the post is most likely not seating properly or the o-ring may be damaged.  Sometimes I have to poke at the poppets to reseat them after disconnecting the quick disconnect.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline lladutke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 01:59:04 pm »
"Sometimes I have to poke at the poppets to reseat them after disconnecting the quick disconnect."

But then more beer would shoot out, right?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:14:07 pm »
"Sometimes I have to poke at the poppets to reseat them after disconnecting the quick disconnect."

But then more beer would shoot out, right?
A quick stab since it's already leaking, but yeah....
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:45:58 am »
There are a lot of poppets out there. Perhaps they didn't use the correct one. Try a different one.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:51:24 pm »
Whoah! They used an automatic tool to tighten a keg post? Talk about overkill. What were they thinking? Do they change out tires also? JK. Anyway...at this point doesn't seem like you have anything to lose by trying to straighten it out. It's already broken! Or...I guess you could try some Teflon tape - but that could be a long shot. Good luck!

I'm with you. I think they boogered up the keg using an impact wrench on it.

OP: Take it back and tell them you want a new one (and you don't want it boogered up!).

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:48 pm »

I'm with you. I think they boogered up the keg using an impact wrench on it.

OP: Take it back and tell them you want a new one (and you don't want it boogered up!).

Charlie

I agree - they screwed it up, not you.  But one simple fix might be to try a universal poppet.  It is a spring and separate poppet seal that is not a fixed item.  It adapts pretty well to any poppet type being replaced.  I keep a few on hand for those occasions when a stubborn poppet won't seal well.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/UNIVERSAL-POPPET-VALVE-P2924.aspx

Cheers and good luck with your keg situation.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"