Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: There goes another one...  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: There goes another one...
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 01:45:30 pm »
I'm hoping that the Griffon brewery keep making the beers that they do.

I get the impression that the Griffin brewery will continue as usual making the beers for the UK market (for now at least,)  but Asahi are getting the international trademark rights to do with as they please. 

Asahi can make the same ROI much faster through international branding, at which point they may not take as keen a  interest in maintaining the domestic cask production.   I hadn't even thought about the value of the land under the brewery, but now wonder just what options on it might have been included.   

Unfortunately it appears that Asahi have indeed acquired clear title to the brewery in Chiswick and the land underneath it,  with an eye to development.   One reference in paragraph 8 here:  https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-25/fuller-s-brewery-sale-to-asahi-can-t-be-blamed-on-brexit

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

The Beerery

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 03:05:26 pm »
The world is not as is seems...

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 03:33:15 pm »
The world is not as is seems...

That’s a revealing chart. I knew some of the lines of ownership but some were surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 04:01:41 pm »
I just saw this, and today now seems a little less bright.  I'm a big fan of Fuller's.  So this was a bit disappointing to find out.  As long as the beer doesn't change (for the worse), I'll keep buying it.  I hope all turns out okay for the employees of the brewery.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 07:03:23 pm »
I'm hoping that the Griffon brewery keep making the beers that they do.

I get the impression that the Griffin brewery will continue as usual making the beers for the UK market (for now at least,)  but Asahi are getting the international trademark rights to do with as they please. 

Asahi can make the same ROI much faster through international branding, at which point they may not take as keen a  interest in maintaining the domestic cask production.   I hadn't even thought about the value of the land under the brewery, but now wonder just what options on it might have been included.   

Unfortunately it appears that Asahi have indeed acquired clear title to the brewery in Chiswick and the land underneath it,  with an eye to development.   One reference in paragraph 8 here:  https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-25/fuller-s-brewery-sale-to-asahi-can-t-be-blamed-on-brexit

They do need to supply cask ale for the pubs. They will need a new brewery, or contract with someone else. Wonder what the sale's terms are on that.

We really need to get to London again, to visit the brewery, and walk from the gift shop along the Thames, stopping at the pubs, ending at the Dove for more than one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!