Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Stout  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Dry Stout
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:39:43 pm »
Doing a dry stout with a prospective gravity of 1045 and about 30 IBUs. After some thought, I have/had decided upon WLP013 (London Ale).

The other contenders were the following: WLP004 (Irish Ale), S- 04, US- 05, Wyeast 1007 (German Ale).

Would you use the same (013), or one of the other contenders, or something completely different?

Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Dry Stout
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:47:42 pm »
Doing a dry stout with a prospective gravity of 1045 and about 30 IBUs. After some thought, I have/had decided upon WLP013 (London Ale).

The other contenders were the following: WLP004 (Irish Ale), S- 04, US- 05, Wyeast 1007 (German Ale).

Would you use the same (013), or one of the other contenders, or something completely different?

WLP013 is a solid choice.  Honestly, in my opinion, yeast selection isn't all that important for a stout.  These days I use whatever's cheap.  I used Munton's ale yeast in my last stout and was pretty pleased with it.  Only 99 cents.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:09:54 pm »
I could just use the packet of US-05 that's lying around.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 09:19:28 pm »
If you have a pack to use up, then go ahead and use it.  The thing about US-05 is that attenuation is high >80%.  Most British yeasts attenuate much lower 60-70%.  So there's that.  But it will still taste good regardless.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:17:22 am »

WLP013 is a solid choice.  Honestly, in my opinion, yeast selection isn't all that important for a stout.  These days I use whatever's cheap.  I used Munton's ale yeast in my last stout and was pretty pleased with it.  Only 99 cents.
Munton's is an underappreciated yeast, in my opinion.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 11:06:16 am »
I used Wyeast Thames Valley Ale yeast. It was the only low flocculator + medium attenuator that my LHBS carried (they were low on stock). Never used it before but should work out fine in the stout. The starter frothed up nicely after the first day. Yeast smelled good, nice and mild and clean, not like rotten eggs or any of the other more pungent strains that give off an odor. Brew day went without a hitch, mashed at 150, stout came out nice and black with an OG of 1.049.   

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »
thames valley is nice, i always prefered 1084 for DS, alot of people ive talked to dont like it for some reason but i find i get a nice "fresh milk" note with it, anyway im off topic, 1275 is a solid choice i think, i only used on a brown ale once but it worked out for me, good luck Cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09:16 am »
For brown to black beers a prefer a more neutral yeast with minimal esters, so I usually use US05.  Dependable and inexpensive!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!