Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: opening a local homebrew shop in this day and age  (Read 1464 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
opening a local homebrew shop in this day and age
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:28:51 pm »
its always been a dream to open a small local homebrew shop in my town, i feel my town needs a homebrew shop but i start thinking about how the internet is taking over pretty much everything, what are your thoughts? would it be a bad idea to open a LHBS in this day and age? brick and mortar are getting less and less but i do find a value in walking into a shop and developing a relationship and having that customer/seller interaction, what are your thoughts?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: opening a local homebrew shop in this day and age
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »
I completely agree with your point of view.  I love my LHBS.  I like the interaction with the guys working there.  I like being able to actually see and handle things before purchasing.  Pretty much everything brewing related, if I can get it there, that's where I buy it.

But as you mentioned, having online purchasing as a competitor is definitely a concern.  Are there any local homebrew clubs in your area to connect with?  Try to find out if there would be a good local clientele.

Offline mfshambu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:34:29 pm »
Hi Matty,

My name is Millie Shamburger and I’m the business programs coordinator at the AHA. Among these programs are various initiatives to help shops thrive in the homebrewing industry and connect with the AHA, but I also conduct our industry surveys every year. I think there are a few things to consider here:

•   joe_meadmaker makes a great point about clubs. Take some time to connect with your local hoembrewing community, attend some club meetings, and investigate how truly high the demand would be for a local shop.
•   If the demand is high, some of the best performing homebrew shops are located in areas that may have been previously under-served, so use this as an opportunity to see what has been missing for your local homebrewers
•   When considering your business model, think multi-dimensional. Just because you don’t have a huge warehouse full of inventory doesn’t mean you can’t meet some of the convenience/online shopping needs of your customers. Some great ways to diversify your offerings and generate alternative revenue streams are:
   *Incorporating educational courses for beginners and experts alike
   *Creating some sort of online component whether that’s pre-order for pick-up or simply listing what your
          offerings are on your website so your potential customers can see what you have available before
          making the trip
   *Offer other types of fermentation projects such as pickles, cheese, kombucha, and more.
   *Small taproom to appeal to both homebrewers and craft beer enthusiasts
   *Invest some time and money in marketing and online visibility
   *Create programs that appeal to people of color, women, and beginner homebrewers

I would be happy to answer any additional questions you might have and/or provide you with some resources to help with your decision: millie@brewersassociation.org

Here is a link to our business tools page as well: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/business-tools/sell-aha-memberships/

Cheers,
Millie

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:26:16 pm »
Hi Matty,

My name is Millie Shamburger and I’m the business programs coordinator at the AHA. Among these programs are various initiatives to help shops thrive in the homebrewing industry and connect with the AHA, but I also conduct our industry surveys every year. I think there are a few things to consider here:

•   joe_meadmaker makes a great point about clubs. Take some time to connect with your local hoembrewing community, attend some club meetings, and investigate how truly high the demand would be for a local shop.
•   If the demand is high, some of the best performing homebrew shops are located in areas that may have been previously under-served, so use this as an opportunity to see what has been missing for your local homebrewers
•   When considering your business model, think multi-dimensional. Just because you don’t have a huge warehouse full of inventory doesn’t mean you can’t meet some of the convenience/online shopping needs of your customers. Some great ways to diversify your offerings and generate alternative revenue streams are:
   *Incorporating educational courses for beginners and experts alike
   *Creating some sort of online component whether that’s pre-order for pick-up or simply listing what your
          offerings are on your website so your potential customers can see what you have available before
          making the trip
   *Offer other types of fermentation projects such as pickles, cheese, kombucha, and more.
   *Small taproom to appeal to both homebrewers and craft beer enthusiasts
   *Invest some time and money in marketing and online visibility
   *Create programs that appeal to people of color, women, and beginner homebrewers

I would be happy to answer any additional questions you might have and/or provide you with some resources to help with your decision: millie@brewersassociation.org

Here is a link to our business tools page as well: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/business-tools/sell-aha-memberships/

Cheers,
Millie
Thank you Millie, i will be getting in touch with you in the near future
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:15:12 am »
First and foremost, always remember that it's a business.  Don't let your love of homebrewing get in the way of that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »
First and foremost, always remember that it's a business.  Don't let your love of homebrewing get in the way of that.
Thats the truth Denny
Matty

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 11:50:50 am »
Millie,

I'm researching a home brew shop too?  Could I email you about a few questions?

Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 04:43:54 pm »
I like being able to shop in person ... my LHBS has come a long way over the years. Sometimes I just go in the to buy stuff to keep them in business and I don't mind paying the extra cost. That said 90% of my business goes over the internet so better make that a part of your business plan if you want to be successful.

Offline emily.bishop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 02:00:16 pm »
Millie,

I'm researching a home brew shop too?  Could I email you about a few questions?

Hello!

My name is Emily Bishop and I am the new Membership Coordinator for the American Homebrewers Association. I'd be happy to answer your questions- feel free to email me at bishop@brewersassociation.org

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 06:59:53 pm »
Awesome, thanks Emily!  You will see an email in a day or two. 
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing