Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing a Grapefruit IPA with dried Grapefruit Zest  (Read 2094 times)

Offline BrewingAroundtheRealm

• 1st Kit
Brewing a Grapefruit IPA with dried Grapefruit Zest
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:38:39 am »
I picked up a grapefruit IPA recipe over at Home Brew Talk several months back. What made it interesting is that it used dried grapefruit zest. I had never considered using that. I hadn't actually heard of it till I came across the recipe.

My full brew day video is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkmm9mp46bw

With the complete recipe on my website: https://brewingaroundtherealm.com/the-juice-is-worth-the-squeeze-imperial-grapefruit-ipa/

The only major issue I had was with the zest clogging the dip tube on the keg several times. I had to remove and clean the out post several times during the time this was being served. Has anyone else brewed with any kind of dried zest and had issues?

The original recipe thread from Home Brew Talk is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/the-juice-is-worth-the-squeeze-imperial-ipa.654977/ for anyone that is interested.
Visit Brewing Around the Realm on YouTube for brew sessions, tips, reviews and more! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdxuqMtgYHTwxw9lHNqa3Rw

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewing a Grapefruit IPA with dried Grapefruit Zest
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:59:33 am »
When I add things to a keg, I either put them inn a muslin bag tied to the dip tube, or put a SureScreen over the end of the tube to keep it from clogging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:51:15 am »
Don't some people have problems with something in grapefruit?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:10:08 am »

I can’t have grapefruit because I take Lipitor.  ...and I love grapefruit!  Is that what you mean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 04:07:17 pm »
It's been a while since I brewed mine, but I used grapefruit peel that was dried in the oven.  Here's the link to a previous discussion.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=17784.msg236836#msg236836
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 04:24:21 pm »
I just brewed a Grapefruit IPA that included about 3/4 grapefruit worth of fresh peel (no white pith) in the last 5 min of boil, plus whirlpool time. I did not consider using it for primary or 'dry-hop' thinking the aromatic oils may not come out of the peel. Does anyone know if the 'dry-hop' approach adds any bitterness or aroma?  Seems like a 0 min or very late boil addition would provide most of the benefit.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:26 pm »

I can’t have grapefruit because I take Lipitor.  ...and I love grapefruit!  Is that what you mean?

No, I read somewhere that something in grapefruit causes some people a problem.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:39 am »

Same here, and there are other meds where grapefruit can cause even bigger issues.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 09:04:49 am »

Same here, and there are other meds where grapefruit can cause even bigger issues.

If you take a statin, grapefruit effects the effectiveness of the medicine.  My wife takes one and that is what her doctor told her.  I some cases it can make the effects of the drug more intense.
Occasionally, during our winter months in FL (the land of fresh citrus), she will eat a half grapefruit a couple times a month because she and I both love them.  But she is very careful about it.  She has also had a grapefruit IPA that was made by a brewery in St. Augustine (they don't brew there anymore and the brewer bought he equipment and moved it to a new place) with no ill effects.  However. always err on the side of caution when taking a statin.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline unclelefty47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 12:39:29 am »
Grapefruit also interferes with blood thinners. Coumadin especially. I'm not sure if boiling has any bearing on that or not because I candy the peels and use some of the syrup too. Just brewed a batch with Ruby Reds and it was quite good.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 10:01:03 am »

From my understanding grapefruit changes the way certain medication is metabolized. It can unpredictably increase the potency of a medication for instance. Calcium channel blockers, blood thinners, statins, a few others. Using a small amount of zest will most likely not cause anyone harm who throws back a few. Still, probably best to put out a verbal warning before serving. I'm on blood pressure meds and can't have it, I live on a grapefruit orchard and life is funny that way, but I would still drink your beer and likely be fine. I couldn't have it every night though.   

None of this has anything to do with stuff getting clogged in your keg. When discussion goes from keg clogging to artery clogging it is a testament to all of our ages.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.