Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Barleywine Hops  (Read 2937 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Re: American Barleywine Hops
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »
And this hop talk is interesting as I’m working up 4 IPA test batches to test the hop contribution. Figured I’d test 21 mins against 14 and 7 and a whirlpool. Maybe I should snatch one and try it as a dry hop instead, though the IBUs would be insignificant for an IPA. Oh, and this is comparing the same volume of hops each time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 02:56:53 pm »
So might I be better off skipping the whirlpool and using those hops in the boil instead? My understanding is hops used in the dry hop will have faded significantly in just a few months, and so I guess it would be gone by 9-12 months.

Whirlpool hops will also fade significantly in that time frame
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:11 pm »
Dropped the whirlpool and moved the hops to the boil but dropped it to 14 mins so as not to go over 100 IBUs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 06:56:48 pm »

So you are after a sharper bitterness? Hmmm... wondering if that might be more appropriate here.

Anyone try an all Chinook barleywine? I was helped with trying to make an Arrogant Bastard clone using nothing but it, which didn’t come out all that similar. Been many, many moons since then so I don’t recall what I thought.

Looking back I see my bittering was at 90 mins and I felt the hop flavors weren’t strong enough.

Yep.  If it's supposed to have a firm bitterness, that's what I want and I use Chinook.  Not only BW, but IPA also.  Chinook also makes a killer finishing hop.  I tried some MI grown Chinook that was outstanding for finishing.  Remember, terroir matters!

Might have to send you some more?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 08:14:35 am »

So you are after a sharper bitterness? Hmmm... wondering if that might be more appropriate here.

Anyone try an all Chinook barleywine? I was helped with trying to make an Arrogant Bastard clone using nothing but it, which didn’t come out all that similar. Been many, many moons since then so I don’t recall what I thought.

Looking back I see my bittering was at 90 mins and I felt the hop flavors weren’t strong enough.

Yep.  If it's supposed to have a firm bitterness, that's what I want and I use Chinook.  Not only BW, but IPA also.  Chinook also makes a killer finishing hop.  I tried some MI grown Chinook that was outstanding for finishing.  Remember, terroir matters!

I wouldn't say no!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 09:13:53 am »

I wouldn't say no!

I will see if I can get more.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:31 am »

Think I’ll run with your suggestion and try all Chinook.

I haven’t seen anyone speak on time additions. I read that people generally seem to start their chiller and get the temp down before doing a whirlpool. I haven’t done this. As my pohandles about 7 gals topped up I can’t deal with the water to mash more than about 12 lbs of grains and get a good sparge so anything heavier I use LME at flame out, which drops the temp a bit, as does dropping the chiller in to sanitize it. Figuring this gets me somewhere to 185* or less, which from what I recall was said to be a more flavor-like addition with a whirlpool around 155* was more of an aroma addition.

I also haven’t seen anyone speak on the staying power of the hop flavor. For something that will sit for a long time would a boil addition be better than a whirlpool? Otherwise figure I’ll do both.

I accidentally dropped the temp too much once and ended up adding whirlpool hops at 120. I loved it so much that's what I do now.  But truthfully, I've pretty much stopped doing whirlpool hops in favor of dry hopping.  For flavor I do a 5-10 min. addition.  But if you age it 5 years, you're gonna be way down on hop f;avor and aroma no matter what you do.
So, it really doesn't make a lot of difference which hops you use?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 01:30:23 pm »

I haven’t seen anyone speak on time additions. I read that people generally seem to start their chiller and get the temp down before doing a whirlpool. I haven’t done this. As my pohandles about 7 gals topped up I can’t deal with the water to mash more than about 12 lbs of grains and get a good sparge so anything heavier I use LME at flame out, which drops the temp a bit, as does dropping the chiller in to sanitize it. Figuring this gets me somewhere to 185* or less, which from what I recall was said to be a more flavor-like addition with a whirlpool around 155* was more of an aroma addition.

I also haven’t seen anyone speak on the staying power of the hop flavor. For something that will sit for a long time would a boil addition be better than a whirlpool? Otherwise figure I’ll do both.

I accidentally dropped the temp too much once and ended up adding whirlpool hops at 120. I loved it so much that's what I do now.  But truthfully, I've pretty much stopped doing whirlpool hops in favor of dry hopping.  For flavor I do a 5-10 min. addition.  But if you age it 5 years, you're gonna be way down on hop f;avor and aroma no matter what you do.

In terms of whirlpool hops?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 11:15:57 am »

Anywhere in the process in a beer aged for five years.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:19 am »

Yeah, I think it does, since you use a lot of them.  For instance, I can tell the difference between Centennial and Cascade as flavor hops in my aged BWs.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 11:12:16 am »

Yeah, I think it does, since you use a lot of them.  For instance, I can tell the difference between Centennial and Cascade as flavor hops in my aged BWs.
I don't have plans for a BW any time soon but I will keep this in mind when I do.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women